Insulated water bowls for the free range visitors

mumzee1432

Chirping
Dec 18, 2023
Has anyone used insulated water bowls to help keep water from freezing? Our neighbor's 8 free rangers dash to our house at daybreak and guzzle water. Now that water is freezing up overnight, I want to figure out a way to keep water available for the morning dash. We don't have an outdoor electricity source anywhere near where they go to "trick or treat." I saw double wall insulated pet dishes and wondered if a large one would stand up to freezing temps.

Now that water is freezing up overnight, I want to figure out a way to keep water available for the morning dash.
Can you just refill the water dish each morning?

I saw double wall insulated pet dishes and wondered if a large one would stand up to freezing temps.
It would depend on how cold your temperatures get. With an open top, I don't think the insulation would make much difference. (But if the ground is cold, the insulation would keep the water from getting chilled by the cold ground.)

If you fill any dish with hot water, it will take a bit longer to freeze, as compared with putting out cold water. Putting hot water in an insulated dish would probably keep it liquid for a bit longer yet.

But if your temperatures drop very far below freezing, I think there are only two things that will really work: either a heated dish, or you carry out fresh water in the morning.

(I haven't seen the kind of pet dishes you are talking about, but I know how insulation works in general, and I have seen more than enough frozen water dishes at various temperatures.)

Can you just refill the water dish each morning?

It would depend on how cold your temperatures get. With an open top, I don't think the insulation would make much difference. (But if the ground is cold, the insulation would keep the water from getting chilled by the cold ground.)

If you fill any dish with hot water, it will take a bit longer to freeze, as compared with putting out cold water. Putting hot water in an insulated dish would probably keep it liquid for a bit longer yet.

But if your temperatures drop very far below freezing, I think there are only two things that will really work: either a heated dish, or you carry out fresh water in the morning.

(I haven't seen the kind of pet dishes you are talking about, but I know how insulation works in general, and I have seen more than enough frozen water dishes at various temperatures.)
I think that's going to be the main plan (refill in the morning). I'm just amazed at how early these "chick or treaters" (my hubby's new name for them) show up. Since I've retired, I don't get up as early. I've been prepping the porch and their water bowls at night so they have food and water ready when they show up -- regardless of whether I am up or even at home when they arrive. Yesterday, I realized their water was refreezing mid-morning even. I might invest in a heated dish too and put that closer to the carport where we have an outlet. I've tried to steer them away from the carport but it might be a winter adjustment I need to make for peace of mind.

You have such a BIG heart for giving them care. ❤️ Heated dishes really are the way to go. Sounds like your neighbors chickens like you more. ☺️

I love these fluffy "chick or treaters." They are so smart and funny. It's not their fault that they've ended up in this ridiculous situation. If the neighbors moved away and abandoned them, I would happily wave good-bye and get a coop space ready immediately. I hope our new decision to focus on actual chicken feed vs. treats and supplementing with sunflower seeds, oatmeal, fruit/veggies, etc. will help them not wander so far. With winter coming, I can see them drifting even more to find bugs and worms without real food provided on a consistent/stable basis.

You can try the saltwater trick and floating a water bottle of saltwater in the dish to help it move and break up the ice. Something else you could try would be to insulate the dish from the ground itself, such as on a wood or stone block.

I love these fluffy "chick or treaters." They are so smart and funny. It's not their fault that they've ended up in this ridiculous situation. If the neighbors moved away and abandoned them, I would happily wave good-bye and get a coop space ready immediately. I hope our new decision to focus on actual chicken feed vs. treats and supplementing with sunflower seeds, oatmeal, fruit/veggies, etc. will help them not wander so far. With winter coming, I can see them drifting even more to find bugs and worms without real food provided on a consistent/stable basis.
Im just wondering if they even have enough protection from the elements and predators once winter sets in. The amount of care you’re giving them is their best chance to get through the winter. You’re a sweetheart. ❤️

Has anyone used insulated water bowls to help keep water from freezing? Our neighbor's 8 free rangers dash to our house at daybreak and guzzle water. Now that water is freezing up overnight, I want to figure out a way to keep water available for the morning dash. We don't have an outdoor electricity source anywhere near where they go to "trick or treat." I saw double wall insulated pet dishes and wondered if a large one would stand up to freezing temps.
I got a plug- in from Tractor Supply for around $55. However, it is a powered. Not only are my 3 chickens drinking from it, the local sparrows, grackels, and of course pigeons are drinking from it. It has not froze yet, and, we are warmer than most, we have got down to the teens here in Albuquerque. Hope this help outside of the power supply issue.

Back
Top Bottom