Cold temperatures

Vinniemac

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 9, 2011
Western Pennsylvania
Being my first year with chicken I'm,worried about the cold.I have five hens 2 Wyandottes,2 Barnevelders And one RIR The temperatures have gotten to the teens at night and they were just fine but this week they are predicting near zero at night for a few days. My coop is new with double walls but no insulation Do you think they will be alright without heat.
Vinnie

They'll be fine. BYC members in the far reaches of AK have chickens without providing heat and they are fine. Just make sure they have plenty of ventilation up top and no drafts from below in the coop.

I live in central IL we will be around -5 in a few nights. All I use is a light to substitute for the sun it goes off aroind 10 or so and dont come back on till 5am. The have been fine so far and we have been at 7 deg a few morn now. Remember sun up is usually the coldest point in the day

They should be fine I have a turkey that is molting
she is even fine she just stays in the chicken coop right now by her own choice. Its warmer more bodies my turkey pen is only 3 sided and there fine also

Thanks so much. I don't have access to electricity in my coop. I am looking for alternatives to keep them warm. It is 4 degrees right now!
If they are dry and out of the wind, they will be fine without supplemental heat. It's -15 right now where I live, and my chickens are doing great. It was -20 at 8 am. Do you have songbirds where you live? I do. They're out and about, eating from the feeders, drinking from the heated waterer. How do you think these little birds survive the cold with no heated or insulated houses to live in? If they can make it, my chickens will do just fine in their unheated, uninsulated coop that protects them from the wind and snow.

Back
Top Bottom