Cold weak chick

Thank you for all your advice, it seemed distressed in the box with heat lamp so I had another silkie that had been sitting on eggs that weren’t hatching so I removed her eggs and put the chick under her. I stayed close to check she would take to it ok, then left it for the night. This morning it is like a different chick. Mother hen is doing such a good job. I have moved her to a nursery and so far so good. The other mum is still sitting, I have tried moving her to a safer place but she is determined to hatch her chicks on the floor of coop, now that they are close to hatching I will create protection around her, I don’t want any more chicks stepped on. 452CB043-2FA0-49A1-9733-E8D61338068F.jpeg

Do you have an incubator? I wouldn't give it back to the hen until it's up on its feet more. She might accidentally crush it if it can't somewhat fend for itself. Good job saving it, hopefully it lives. Is the hen a first time mother?
First time mum, she is quite a dedicated sitter, the other mum kept forgetting which nesting box was hers and I’d find her happily sitting in the wrong box on freshly laid eggs 🤦🏽‍♀️ No suprise hers didn’t hatch, I have given her the new chick and she is very protective of it 🤞

I like heating pads. If you put a small piece of hardware cloth underneath you can bend the back to be lower than the front. Then they can regulate their own temp. But the heating pad has to be on high, and no auto shut off.
I used a hot water bottle initially while I found the heat lamp and set it up, I like the sound of heat pads the lamp seemed hard to be sure the temperature was right. It has been good in the past with eggs we incubated. The plan was no more chickens but the silkies seem to have a different interpretation of that 😅 Chick is doing well under a nice silkie mum.

I'm glad she's doing well! You saved her life. You're a great chicken parent. I hope the baby thrives. You did a perfect job. I hope you'll let us know how baby does!
First time mum, she is quite a dedicated sitter, the other mum kept forgetting which nesting box was hers and I’d find her happily sitting in the wrong box on freshly laid eggs 🤦🏽‍♀️ No suprise hers didn’t hatch, I have given her the new chick and she is very protective of it 🤞
That's funny! :lol:
My hen tried to pull the same thing once. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom