Cold Weather Advice Needed! Chickens with bare butts

Ecochic

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 12, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Hi,
I need some advice about what to do regarding my two hens with featherless "bums". I had one hen peck the other two and have that under control, but now have another problem. It is very cold here right now (-30C so around -22F) and have an unheated coop. They have been fine up until now, but am worried that the bare bums will lead to problems. I don't know if I should put some heat in the coop or bring them in to my unheated cellar? Thanks! We are so ready for Spring :)

Most of my girls have bare bums too, I have a heat lamp and a red bulb and it keeps the coop a good bit above the outside temperature. Its important to make sure the temperature difference isnt huge between the outside temp and temp in the coop. Hope this helps a bit!
If you arent able to get a heat lamp, or any heat source, check to see how the girls are acting. If they seem uncomfortable, you can try bringing them in the house until the weather gets a little warmer. If theyre acting fine, then the temperature isnt bothering them to th point where theyre in pain.

Hi,
I need some advice about what to do regarding my two hens with featherless "bums". I had one hen peck the other two and have that under control, but now have another problem. It is very cold here right now (-30C so around -22F) and have an unheated coop. They have been fine up until now, but am worried that the bare bums will lead to problems. I don't know if I should put some heat in the coop or bring them in to my unheated cellar? Thanks! We are so ready for Spring :)
They'll be fine without heat....
........had a couple barebacked and bare bummed last winter, which was brutal.....days on end near 0F.

BUT do check to be sure they don't have lice or mites and that you don't have a feather picker in your flock due to over crowding or low animal protein levels in feed regime

Back
Top Bottom