Cold weather and a lonely chicken

Bunny-bum

Chirping
Oct 16, 2020
Uk
Hi I have a 13 week old roo , who is out side with three other Roos but is a bit of a reject and doesn’t get to snuggle in with the others, I live in England the temp is 35f , will my little buddy be warm enough sleeping alone? The coop is ventilated and mostly draft free. First winter for me + chickens 🥶

People say chickens snuggle to stay warm BUT I actually don’t really think that is how it works. When the chicken puffs up it’s creating it layers to retain the heat it’s body is making. If you touch the outside of the chicken it’s cold to the touch. If you work your fingers into the feathers the skin is nice and toasty. The way they puff up does a really nice job of retaining heat so i don’t see the chicken next door getting much benefit from being close.

Hi I have a 13 week old roo , who is out side with three other Roos but is a bit of a reject and doesn’t get to snuggle in with the others, I live in England the temp is 35f , will my little buddy be warm enough sleeping alone? The coop is ventilated and mostly draft free. First winter for me + chickens 🥶
Sleeping alone is ok, but he needs to stay dry without the wind hitting him.

He sleeps ina nest box, which I don’t mind cuz we ended up with only Roos , no draft in there , i think the only but with a draft is by the door and none of them sleep there. Thanks for the reassurance 😸

Back
Top Bottom