Cold weather and new eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MSUredneck, Mar 24, 2013.

1. MSUredneck

MSUredneck Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    My buff duck has been sitting on a nest of about 13 eggs for about a week now, but the weather is supposed to get cold (mid 30's) starting tomorrow night. Should I run a heat lamp out to her in her box? It's been warm,( 80's during the day and 60's at night) and I dont want to risk any of the eggs or her getting sick. Will she be okay without any heat? This is her first time with a nest and eggs so all opinions and suggestions are appreciated!! Thanks!

2. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    I think she'd be ok without it. As long as she stays on the eggs and doesn't let them get chilled it should be ok. But if it will make you feel better it wouldn't hurt to have it on either, just turn it off when it gets warmer in the day [​IMG]

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    They'll be fine. You only would need to worry if you get down below freezing for a long time and she is not sitting on the nest.

I've had a few of my hens hatch out ducklings since December and we've had a number of freezes, snow and cold weather.

4. MSUredneck

MSUredneck Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Good to know. Thanks guys!!

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I can attest to the fact she'll be fine, if she has decent shelter. My Muscovy took a nest through Feb in a Canadian winter, she now has 4 over 1wk old babies(5 eggs total, so good results) no heat lamp, i just piled on the bedding, surprisingly it can be done. Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by