Cold Weather and Turkeys

ChikinInThePines

Songster
6 Years
Mar 13, 2017
South Carolina, USA
Hey everyone!
My wife and I acquired 6 heritage turkeys (Narragansett) from a friend, and had to build a quick run/coop for them. Here is what we have....

20231125_173830.jpg

I know the door is a little fancy, but it is was the cheapest available! We are planning to free range these gobblers once they attribute the area as their home. However, we are about to get some colder weather - around 25F (-3C). The turkeys typically huddle together on the top perch under the tarp. They are roughly 10 weeks old. Do we need to worry about them being in the open? Should I put a tarp along the back and sides more to cover them?

Hey everyone!
My wife and I acquired 6 heritage turkeys (Narragansett) from a friend, and had to build a quick run/coop for them. Here is what we have....

View attachment 3692950

I know the door is a little fancy, but it is was the cheapest available! We are planning to free range these gobblers once they attribute the area as their home. However, we are about to get some colder weather - around 25F (-3C). The turkeys typically huddle together on the top perch under the tarp. They are roughly 10 weeks old. Do we need to worry about them being in the open? Should I put a tarp along the back and sides more to cover them?
Being 10 weeks I would on the north,west and east.
Weasels can go through a hole bigger than a half inch. .. and raccoons can reach in.
Most of my turkeys unfortunately roost in the trees and the owls pick them off.

Being 10 weeks I would on the north,west and east.
Weasels can go through a hole bigger than a half inch. .. and raccoons can reach in.
Most of my turkeys unfortunately roost in the trees and the owls pick them off.
I agree I think I'm going to cover them up just a little more! We don't have weasels around here. Unfortunately our biggest culprits will probably be owls and coyotes (ocassional fox)....to be honest I have been very concerned about Histomoniasis/Blackhead disease. We have 13 chickens which we keep for eggs (and pets) in a large coop behind our home. We let them free-range every other day or so, but they do leave little surprises all over the yard and woods. We have 30 acres but only 3 of which is "clear".
It's strange because we know people who keep chickens and turkeys together without any issues whatsoever; but, then I read stories of how people will lose their entire turkey population from blackhead...maybe I'm just being a paranoid bird-loving nut?

It's strange because we know people who keep chickens and turkeys together without any issues whatsoever; but, then I read stories of how people will lose their entire turkey population from blackhead.
Blackhead isn't everywhere. Where it is, it can be a death sentence to turkeys. Where it isn't, there is no concern other than what the turkeys can do to the chickens.

Ask around locally, vets, feed stores, etc. Call your state vet, someone should know whether blackhead is a problem in your area.

Hey everyone!

View attachment 3692950

25° is not a problem with adult turkeys. Your poults are young enough that it can be a problem.

At ten weeks old, it is highly unlikely that you know the sex of your poults.

Your coop is very soon going to be far too small for adult turkeys which need a minimum of 10 sq. ft. of clear floor space per adult turkey. As adults they will be far more likely to roost on top of that coop than go in it.

I agree I think I'm going to cover them up just a little more! We don't have weasels around here. Unfortunately our biggest culprits will probably be owls and coyotes (ocassional fox)....to be honest I have been very concerned about Histomoniasis/Blackhead disease. We have 13 chickens which we keep for eggs (and pets) in a large coop behind our home. We let them free-range every other day or so, but they do leave little surprises all over the yard and woods. We have 30 acres but only 3 of which is "clear".
It's strange because we know people who keep chickens and turkeys together without any issues whatsoever; but, then I read stories of how people will lose their entire turkey population from blackhead...maybe I'm just being a paranoid bird-loving nut?
Like r2elk says
blackhead is not everywhere. I have a big poultry yard with everyone together. About 150x600ft.
Turkeys need the room and chickens need to learn to run away. I have had problems with turkey beating up or killing chickens that didn't run.

25° is not a problem with adult turkeys. Your poults are young enough that it can be a problem.
I kind of thought that. It's one thing to be in the 50's during the day, but we are dropping down tonight into the mid to upper 20's. I am thinking about covering the little run with more tarp - I also have a brooder/heat lamp I can probably set at the top of the cage facing down onto one of the perches? Worst case scenario is we can move them temporarily into our shed out of the elements and maybe put on a space heater?
Just a thought.... what if we threw them into the chicken coop with the chickens for a few days? The only issue I can see is our rooster attacking them - he is very sweet, but, I have no idea how he would react to them.

I called the South Carolina department of agriculture and the veterinarian had to lookup what "blackhead" was.....I am guessing it is near non-existent here, or just not reported. I will keep asking around locally as well!

Just a thought.... what if we threw them into the chicken coop with the chickens for a few days? The only issue I can see is our rooster attacking them - he is very sweet, but, I have no idea how he would react to them.
That is probably the simplest, fastest solution.

If you do this make sure there are hiding / escape places.

Watch the reaction of the chickens to see if there might be a problem. If the chickens do attack them, they will remember and return the "favor" when they are bigger and moving up in the pecking order.

The lowest chicken on the pecking order is likely the one that will cause any problems. They don't limit their pecking order to their own species.

Update: the turkeys have been moved to the chicken coop and are roosting well! The chickens went in for the night a little suspicious but no fighting whatsoever. I went out to check on them. The turkeys seem to be shivering a little bit...our temperature here is expected to drop to 24 degrees F by 7am, then come back up.
They are fully feathered....I'm just kind of scared I don't want to lose them to the cold.

Update 11/29: The turkeys have survived the night and are out and about with the chickens in the run. They picked up where the water and food was very quickly! Now to see if they go back inside the coop tonight....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom