Cold Weather Ducks

Bill83

Songster
Mar 22, 2019
I am looking for some advice in caring for our ducks in the cold weather. My pen is a Fenced in 12 x 8 with a 4x4 house in the one corner of the pen. Their pen has some water bowl heaters that keep their drinking water from freezing. The house has a hanging heat lamp and stays around 30 degrees. During the cold nights (sub 20f) I shut the ducks in the house for about 6-8 hours without access to water or food.

We are seeing in the forecast its looking like its going to be a week or so of weather where its 8-15 degrees at night and some days where its sub 20. I cant leave the ducks in the 4x4 house all day without food and water while I'm at work.

What are my options to making sure they don't get any forstbite and stay warm ? I thought about stapling shower cutrains to the inside of the coop to keep cold air out and hanging some more heat lamps in the pen?

IF anyone has any ideas/advice to get through these temps I would appreciate it very much.

I reiterate. Ducks don't get cold like you do. Those temperatures aren't even cold. Don't worry about them.
-15 and the ducks were trying to swim in the water bucket
20200117_231725.jpg

The only changes i make is stopping drafts in the coop but not blocking ventilation

And i put hay down in their run so they have a place to stand and sleep without being directly on the snow or ground

If it's really cold and your pen is snow/ice you can add a layer of straw or pine shavings on top and it will help protect their feet some. Ducks are quite cold hardy and tend to fare well even in the temps your mention. The webbing between their feet is the most vulnerable part. You will often see ducks laying down when it's cold so they can tuck their feet up in their feathers for added warmth. I also like to fluff their bedding when it's cold so it can trap more air/warmth, it tends to get packed down in their house. I like to give them the choice, inside or outside and provide an additional wind break other than their house.

Yes but on nights that cold I cover the screened vent.

This may be the worst thing you can do. Ventilation prevents frostbite because it prevents condensation.

Ducks have down feathers. They make jackets and sleeping bags for mountain climbers out of duck down. Ducks are made for cold weather.

You have been given some excellent advice. I keep mine in a secure run during the day with access to their coop if they need/want to go inside. I also wrapped the outside of my run with clear plastic to help block the wind. It is not wrapped all the way to the top so they can still have plenty of ventilation. I also keep pine shavings in the run and deep bedding in the coop. If their feet are cold they will usually lay down to keep them warm. This is why I like to have bedding outside for them as well. I do have a de-icer in one of their pools and they were actually chilling in it while the wind chill was 16 degrees today. They are pretty tough birds and their body temperature is higher than ours as well.

They’re very tough when it comes to the cold. Mine I give the choice . They can go in their insulated coop or they can be out in their secure run. Their coop is always open to the run. Mine rarely ever sleep in the coop. It’s been in the teens here in PA. They don’t care. Really the only thing that can frostbite is their feet and when they get cold they sit on them.

Back
Top Bottom