Cold Weather Dummies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jprice2ndlt, Jan 4, 2010.

1. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    I got a question. Why wont chickens get out of the cold when they have they option? I built a small coop for my 4 golden comets and 2 barred rocks but they wont go inside it they would rather roost on top. I have put themin it at night but when i go out in the morning they are back on top. It is really cold here and i dont wont them to freeze. Any ideas?

2. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    trust them, or shut them in at night?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  3. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    The chickens are probably not cold, especially if they are in the sun on top of the coop. At night, they have to be inside the coop. This can get annoying, but if you keep putting them in, they will learn. Sometimes, subdominant birds will try to roost outside instead of getting pecked on the roost. If you suspect this, try adding more roosting space.

4. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    It may be that the coop is too short. They like roosting at a higher elevation so you might try to add some "legs" to the coop and see if that helps. Otherwise you may have to block the top with chicken wire

Good Luck!

5. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    they are fine in the daytime. It will be hard to lift the coop. They are about 3 feet off the ground and are in a fenced in area. I will try to keep after them until they get it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by