Cold weather eggs....

kbarrett

Songster
12 Years
Nov 12, 2007
PA
I have a question about eggs and cold weather. I may be overthinking again lol.

My girls started laying a few months ago. My routine has been to leave the basket on the kitchen counter. As I give eggs away to friends & family I wash off any muddy spots stick them in the carton & refrigerate. Those we use ourselves just stay out until used. From what I've read once you refrigerate eggs they can't go back to sitting on the counter waiting to be used. Now that the weather is turning cold the eggs are chilly when I bring them in. Is this the equivilent to them being refrigerated? Should I not let them sit out on the counter any longer?

Yea it should be fine. We the weather gets cold outside. I bring them in and set them on the counter. I let them warm up to be washed because they are less likely to get cracked from the temperature of the water. Then I refrigerate them.

I read in several places DO NOT wash the eggs before you put them in frig. They have a protected coating on them . When you wash this off , they do not last as long ( fresh wise )

Wash them right before you use them

I didn't wash eggs for a long time. I finally decided to wash my eggs and coat them with some oil/grease to protect them and put them in the fridge. When I'm feeling lazy, I spray them with cooking spray.

Derby

Quote:
Wow! Haven't heard that one before. Have to try that. I always wash my eggs if they are poopy. I just wash them in warm water. As far as how long they last....Eggs have a very very short stay in our house. Everyone eats eggs and bakes
wink.png

I wash mine and put olive oil on it, then put it in the carton. The carton stays clean and feces-(disease)-free and I don't have to worry about whether someone touched it and didn't wash their hands or if I put it on the counter without washing them or if something brushed up against it...they're clean and ready to use and by coating them with oil you are replacing that protective coating.

I don't wash mine, I flick off any matter with my fingernail and use the 'dirty' eggs first. Sometimes I let them sit for a few hours so the material is dry so I can clean it . Often I boil them for the barn cats. The clean eggs are given to friends or used for our table...

I check the nesting material daily, usually I get 12/12 clean eggs and if someone gets careless in a nest I may get a coule of 'dirty' ones, so I clean up, fast.

Back
Top Bottom