Cold weather treat suggestions....

Dog food??? Some one told me noooo dog food b/c it has something in it that they shouldn't have but use cat food (which they refused to eat n attracted feral cats) n they have dust I was thinking the same thing so I've been checking and there's no evidence of bugs
celebrate.gif
I don't know who told you about the dog food but it's not true.
I would dust them anyway, Mites and lice can be hard to find on some birds.

Here is the ingredients list for Bil-Jac. It's good stuff.
Ingredients: Beef, meat by-products, cereal food fines, poultry, poultry meal, animal liver, fish meal, eggs, cane molasses, dried beet pulp, wheat germ meal, brewers dried yeast, phosphoric acid, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, riboflavin supplement, salt, niacin, biotin, choline chloride, folic acid, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), dl-methionine, vitamin B12 supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, manganous oxide, inositol, ascorbic acid, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, zinc oxide, cobalt carbonate, potassium oxide, sodium selenite.

Chris

I know my chickens love yogurt. It's good for digestion for them just like us. That might be another protein you could try. But look out it's messy. Also warm oatmeal is a nice winter treat.
smile.png

I would give them more cracked corn and perhaps hang a head of cabbage and get a couple acorn or butter nut squash and cut them open. It's probably more boredom than a protein deficiencey. To much proein isn't good for them...

Besides old leftovers from fridge we only treat the chickens black oil sunflower seeds in winter. Only 14% protein but super high in crude fat (25-35%). Just about anything they can scratch around for in winter keeps them from being bored. Gives a highlight to each day at least.

I'm in NJ as well...brrrrr. My girls go nuts for the dried mealworms. They are so hooked that they follow me whenever they see a tractor supply bag! I also
do the barley and quinoa which they also enjoy. I'm going to try the cottage cheese. Never thought of that but it will probably turn into a new addiction
for them.

Back
Top Bottom