1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cold weather treat suggestions....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hwlchickmama, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Sp0iledFl0ck

Sp0iledFl0ck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    I buy bags of "Waste Free" wild bird seed; mostly nut meats of sunflower, peanuts, some millet, and a tiny amount of cracked corn in it. They love it.

2. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    The dried mealworms are so great. My chickens scarf them up and i feel that the animal protein helps them during cold times

3. Rickjenkins47

Rickjenkins47 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    My Coop
    I saved scraps from a deer I harvested this year and ground them making meatballs which I froze and give to the girls each week. I also saved the bones which I froze and give them a frozen bone or meatball each week to pick on as it defrosts. I also try to visit local dollar stores and am able to pick up expired cans of mackrel, green veggies and expired eggs which I scramble (shells and all) and feed to the girls. They love the treats!!

1 person likes this.
  4. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    How much do you give them. I would like to know because my chickens are bored and I think they need some more protein because their feathers are lookinga little rumpled and not so shiny.

5. CRAZCHICKENLADY

CRAZCHICKENLADY Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    We have gave them warm dog food and sometimes oat meal, and give this to them just before they go to bed.[​IMG]

6. tgooberbutt

tgooberbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2012
    All super helpful! I don't know if my Dominque is getting bored, finicky, or is just deficient in something...but she'll only eat mealworms and fresh coconut :/
    She also has a slightly crooked beak, so it takes her a few tries to pick up any food. She kinda nibbles at clover leaves and BOSS, but is only REALLY interested in mealworms (the matured version beetles too), and fresh coconut....

I'm going to try the cottage cheese, and maybe some canned tuna. Any other suggestions? Her crop's very empty even when the other chickens' are full.

7. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I melt suet blocks and mix it into a scratch boss mix.

8. barredbeans7

barredbeans7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    cooked :)

9. Mygirls20

Mygirls20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    Crickets You can buy them from most pet stores. Mine went insane for live crickets. My girls love live or dried mealworms sometimes live is the way to go the def like the live ones better. :) Hope this helps. I have also heard of feeding them earth worms but have never tried it myself yet.

1 person likes this.
  10. kacklinkelly

kacklinkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Southwest Desert
    I have some pretty weird chickens. (they may take after their momma mia)
    I have attempted to give them the dried mealworms on a couple of occasions and
    mixed in with warm oatmeal. NOPE - neither plain or with the oatmeal. (still have
    half a bag left that is grossing out my daughter whenever she comes across it)

They go CRAZY for live crickets. I have stopped by the feed store several times
    this winter and picked up several dozen for our three girls. They gobble them down
    in seconds.

Am starting to think our girls are becoming picky. our grass and weeds are
    starting to green up around here. They are still scratching the dead stuff and
    completely avoiding the green. I even picked some out for them and added
    fresh parsley from the planter and they just run away picking on more dry
    dead stuff. Maybe they are finding some small bugs but I haven't seen any.

Good luck -

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by