Cold weather ventilation

-Laura

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2021
Indiana
We’re in Indiana, should I leave this vent open through the winter? It’s about 6” x 3’ and sits just a little higher than where the chickens roost on the opposite side of the coop. The coop isn’t air tight, nor is it insulated, and there are small gaps between top and the roof. Also, I plan to change our coop bedding once a week. What do you think? Open or closed?

Attachments

• 7CA0A37F-29A2-4C4D-BDD3-BE123C1A301C.jpeg
    7CA0A37F-29A2-4C4D-BDD3-BE123C1A301C.jpeg
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 10
We’re in Indiana, should I leave this vent open through the winter? It’s about 6” x 3’ and sits just a little higher than where the chickens roost on the opposite side of the coop. The coop isn’t air tight, nor is it insulated, and there are small gaps between top and the roof. Also, I plan to change our coop bedding once a week. What do you think? Open or closed?
Open.
If there is going to be a strong breeze with temps below 40, lower it but don't close it so that air can still get in.

Is that the only ventilation? How many chickens do you have? Rule of thumb is 1sqf of permanent ventilation per bird. Ventilation should be above the birds while on roost.
I’ve closed off the other side because it’s right next to their roost. 6 birds. I’ll leave it open then. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom