Cold weather

It sounds like it is your first winter with chickens. I took this photo when it was +4 Fahrenheit. It had been colder, -4 F overnight, but it had warmed up by the time I got my camera. The coldest these had been through was only -8 F a few days earlier. I open the pop door every morning regardless of weather and let them decide if they want to come out or not. If a cold wind is blowing they stay in. If the wind is not blowing they come out.

Ice.jpg

I hesitate to mention this as people probably won't believe me but growing up I saw chickens sleeping in trees when it was -10 Fahrenheit or colder. These were single combed full sized fowl, a barnyard mix with a lot of game in them. They were not on a bare branch overlooking a bluff squawking defiantly in the teeth of a blizzard. They were in a sheltered area out of the wind. Since they were in a tree they had great ventilation, can't get any better.

If your coop provides good wind protection and enough ventilation so the air is pretty dry your chickens should be OK. I don't know where you are located but people pretty far up north in the US have stopped frostbite problems by opening up their coops to increase ventilation.

Hello winter! We too are COLD.

We are going to be cold for a week, last week in the 50-60 degrees, this week not getting above 0 for some of the days, not predicted above 10 degrees for the 10 days ahead. A 60 degree+ drop.

Do not be surprised if feed consumption goes down, in the first day or two of cold weather. Perfectly normal, but the first time it happened to me, I was nervous.

Do worry about dry and ventilated. I live in arid country, never have frostbite issues until it warms up and thaws, then cold that night. Dry coops with deep bedding can really help with this. Do sprinkle the top of the bedding with scratch - and the girls will flip it and break up gobs of poop into drier smaller bits. Allowing that to dry out more easily.

This is when I hate not having heated water, but will take down water twice instead of once a day.

Collect your eggs twice a day too!

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom