Cold wet chickens in Denver blizzard!

DenverChickFam

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2015
We just got slammed with a not-really-predicted blizzard in Denver. We got about 14" in about 12 hours and winds blowing up to 40mph. Our poor girls are soaking wet. They have their coop, but I am worried about night falling and them getting too cold. It's only only supposed to get down to around 23 degrees tonight. Any suggestions?

They should be okay if they are in the coop, they will shake out a dry, then huddle if they are cold. We are getting the same thing.

If they are soaking wet, it would hurt to bring the flock into the garage overnight and to towel dry them off. To help fight off frost bite, add vasoline to all of their combs and waddles.

To put your mind at ease as to their well-being, check them over to see how soaked they actually are. Run you hand up under the feathers on their backs and under the wings. My guess is they're a lot dryer underneath than they are on the top. In that case, their body heat will dry them.

But Whittni has a very good point. If they're going to be evaporating moisture into the air inside their coop as they dry out, there could be danger of frostbite. Take the precaution of greasing the combs and they should be fine.

To put your mind at ease as to their well-being, check them over to see how soaked they actually are. Run you hand up under the feathers on their backs and under the wings. My guess is they're a lot dryer underneath than they are on the top. In that case, their body heat will dry them.

But Whittni has a very good point. If they're going to be evaporating moisture into the air inside their coop as they dry out, there could be danger of frostbite. Take the precaution of greasing the combs and they should be fine.
Great thank you! After we get the toddler to bed we will waffle out there to check on them

I case anyone is wondering, I just went and checked and they were all soft and dry (on top and underneath their feathers. They were mainly annoyed that I woke them up. We have 7 hens and love them so much! In 12 hrs today we got 18" of snow, 40 mph winds, and 4 eggs! Amazing.

I checked this morning and everyone was in the hen house except Ophelia .. I corralled her into the hen house right then.. left the door open then l8cked them in at about 3pm.. I'm in rocky ford just outside of lajunta.. we got 45mh winds as well as rain and snow

Me too in rocky ford. . It's going to be a glorious day.. I kept my chickens in and they didn't kill each other
1f646.png

Back
Top Bottom