Cold?

Nekatlla

Songster
Mar 7, 2017
Do the broad breasted turkeys become affected by the cold? Do they stop growing as fast, do they need to go inside? Mine have a shelter but never go into it, last night it was rainy and 39 degrees out and they still stayed out on the lawn instead of going under shelter. Thanks I tried do some forum searching but didn't come up with anything. Guess if worse comes to worse and they don't continue to grow I can always process early and freeze.

Thanks for any insight!

Turkeys are extremely cold hardy. Mine stay outside at night too if it isn't snowing often or too windy. Birds need more calories during cold weather so as long as you increase the feed as the temperature goes down they should still grow.

Turkeys are extremely cold hardy. Mine stay outside at night too if it isn't snowing often or too windy. Birds need more calories during cold weather so as long as you increase the feed as the temperature goes down they should still grow.

Thank you!

I’m new to raising turkeys and was wondering about the cold also. I have two royal palms and they are about 4 months old. I’ve been setting up a heat lamp for them some nights when it’s been below 50. They seem to enjoy it but not sure they really need it and wondering if it’s just going to make it harder on them as it gets colder. Any suggestions.

I’m new to raising turkeys and was wondering about the cold also. I have two royal palms and they are about 4 months old. I’ve been setting up a heat lamp for them some nights when it’s been below 50. They seem to enjoy it but not sure they really need it and wondering if it’s just going to make it harder on them as it gets colder. Any suggestions.
Stop the heat lamp. It isn't helping them at all at their age and can affect them acclimating as the temperatures fall. The only cold turkey I ever saw was my weird one with fuzzy feathers. Otherwise turkeys have no problems with cold weather as long as they can get out of the elements if they choose. I give mine hay to stand on when we get snow.

Thank you!
Stop the heat lamp. It isn't helping them at all at their age and can affect them acclimating as the temperatures fall. The only cold turkey I ever saw was my weird one with fuzzy feathers. Otherwise turkeys have no problems with cold weather as long as they can get out of the elements if they choose. I give mine hay to stand on when we get snow.
thank you!

Back
Top Bottom