cold

raymondjames

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 18, 2011
should i let my chickens (well theyre chicks now but im planning) out in the cold? i live in New england (go Pats) and was wondering what i should do? i mean i have nowhere inside i could use... i mean is it too cold? maybe i could put a heater in the coop!...

Last edited:
well...chicks need a heat lamp till they are fully feathered...once they are about 5-6 weeks old they should be able to be out in the coop....
but if it dips below 40º i would give them a little heat till they are a bit older!

They absolutely do not need a heat lamp at all unless you only have one or two. And yes absolutely let them out in the cold. Ours were outside in a dog crate at three days. At night a blanket on top and one side it was low 50's high 40's. Get them cold and they will feather. They will be strong and healthy like northerners not weak and whimpy like southerners. (that was for the tim roof comment sometime back from a bunch of southerners)

These chicks are three weeks old been outside their whole life.

108101_photo_10.jpg

Last edited:
I have chicks right now that have been outside since they were about 5 days old. They are a month old right now. I have a broody cage which is enclosed on 3 sides the front is open but on cold nights I block some of it off with wood. But they do have their momma to keep them warm. It has got as low as the upper 30's and they have done fine in fact they seem to have feathered faster then the ones I have kept in the house. Without momma I would have probably given them some heat.

you didnt say they had a momma keeping them warm.....for newbies reading that, they would think they could throw chicks out in the cold and be fine!
3 day old chicks need heat!

I have had chickens in the cold, free ranging. at night when its below freezing temps, i will turn their heat lamp source on in their coop. only at night tho. during the day, the coops open. what part of new england are you in? having a insulated coop does help too. you can also use bales of hay and surround your coop to keep it warm in their. good luck.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom