Colic prevention for horse?

Regardless of the fact that Banamine is a prescription drug and can't just be picked up at the feed store like wormer... honestly I wouldn't overload his system with any more drugs until he 'needs' it (ie if he does founder/colic).

Overloads of drugs can cause a horse to founder all on their own- much less after a caloric overload (especially a high NSC caloric overload!- you may want to reconsider what you feed... sweet feed is NOT healthy).

Just keep him moving every so often, have ice water readily available. He's less likely to colic IMO if he nibbles on soaked hay throughout the next couple of days. Grass is really not a good idea (especially if it's dead or very short- that has the most sugar) if you can help it. The lush stuff is better if he has to be on grass...

Probiotics wouldn't be a bad idea after a shock to his gut, but that's not urgent by any means.

Is he shod?

Check his gums/inside of his top lip every couple of hours if he will let you. They will turn pale if he is starting to colic. If he does start to, our vet swears by running cold water over them with a hose and walking them constantly until you can get help.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the advice. Just got back from the barn and he seems fine, so far. I put him in the round pen last night, and believe me, he was not a happy camper this morning when I came to check on him. Trotting around and complaining loudly about the lack of feed. Gut sounds are still good, P&R nominally higher but I think due to being upset at being penned (he's used to roaming on 40 acres), poop a little softer than normal, but not significantly, and hooves seem a normal temp. I'm planning on keeping him in the round pen for a couple of days with light feedings of grass hay several times a day and plenty of fresh water. I think he's going to be okay. He's a pretty hardy horse (Appy/Arab X) and seems to have an iron stomach, but he is a bit older and you never know how they may react to something. I'm starting to feel better, too, so that will make it easier to keep an eye on him. Yesterday, I could hardly stay out of bed for three hours at a time without being exhausted, so I was feeling somewhat panicky about how I would manage if something happened (hubby & son barely know the front from the back of horses, so they're no help). Everything seems to have worked out okay, though. So thanks, everyone for your advice, and I will keep an eye out for signs of founder for the next few days.
Blessings,
Liz

Back
Top Bottom