Collards and sweet potatoes

Klwright1122

Songster
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Lillian, AL
Someone told me yesterday not to feed my chickens collards or sweet potatoes because it causes them to stop laying. Had anyone else ever heard of such a thing? My chickens don't get this very often --but I do usually give em most of my kitchen scraps which would include collard stems and sweet potato peelings ocassionally...

I feed some greens to my two flocks everyday. Greens have never stopped my flock from laying.This time of the year the chickens need extra greens. I don't feed mine potatoes but have heard they should be cooked. Then again I don't feed them to my flocks.

I don't know about sweet potatoes but if collards stopped them from laying mine would never lay.

I grow a little patch of collards for them and they get collards all the time.

There are lots of these stories out there about various foods causing hens to cease laying. It's just a lot of nonsense.

I used to give my girls fresh kale every day....then I realized that was causing the runs in some of them. So I have scaled back on giving to them espec. in the spring/summer/fall...winter they will have it since there is no grass. Like anything...everything in moderation. To say it will affect their laying...pish posh I say!

Mine love sweet potatoes, both raw and cooked. Never a problem. There's nothing in there that could possibly harm them.

Back
Top Bottom