Collards and sweet potatoes

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Klwright1122, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Klwright1122

Klwright1122 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Lillian, AL
    Someone told me yesterday not to feed my chickens collards or sweet potatoes because it causes them to stop laying. Had anyone else ever heard of such a thing? My chickens don't get this very often --but I do usually give em most of my kitchen scraps which would include collard stems and sweet potato peelings ocassionally...

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I feed some greens to my two flocks everyday. Greens have never stopped my flock from laying.This time of the year the chickens need extra greens. I don't feed mine potatoes but have heard they should be cooked. Then again I don't feed them to my flocks.

3. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I don't know about sweet potatoes but if collards stopped them from laying mine would never lay.

I grow a little patch of collards for them and they get collards all the time.

4. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    +1. Seems like the more greens mine get, the better they lay.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    There are lots of these stories out there about various foods causing hens to cease laying. It's just a lot of nonsense.

6. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Collards, kales, turnips, goat poo, the chickens eat it all and lay just fine, lol.

7. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    I used to give my girls fresh kale every day....then I realized that was causing the runs in some of them. So I have scaled back on giving to them espec. in the spring/summer/fall...winter they will have it since there is no grass. Like anything...everything in moderation. To say it will affect their laying...pish posh I say!

8. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    We eat lots of sweet potatoes at my house and all the leftovers go to the chicks. Never had a problem.

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Mine love sweet potatoes, both raw and cooked. Never a problem. There's nothing in there that could possibly harm them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by