Collected an egg with blood on the outside of the shell

PhatChicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
This afternoon when I went to collect eggs, one had blood on the outside like when the pullet was laying it, it was straining and really had to push it out. I checked her butt and her anus seemed swollen and had poop stuck all around it.

What should I do? If she lays an egg every day, I don't want her in pain from laying an egg. Nor do I want the others to start pecking her. What kind of medicine do I put on her butt to make the swelling go down? Do I keep her in a separate spot away from the others?

She seems completely fine, eating, drinking, running around. I haven't see her poop yet today but assume she is doing that too. In the run there are some HUGE poops like one of my girls is constipated and when she finally went, a ton came out.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!

Thank you,

Angie in Fruitport, Michigan

Do nothing. It's common. Don't overthink this unless there's something clearly wrong.

X 2 - if you think about the process of egg laying, the occasional rupture of a vessel makes perfect sense - the repro tract is rich with vessels, especially at the point of expulsion where the most distortion of the tissue occurs.

Okay, thanks for talking me off the ledge! :)

I think she is the one that has been laying huge, double-yolk eggs so it makes sense that she would have a bit of trouble.

I'm going to wash her butt off just in case poop is stuck in there and then just keep an eye on her. If she seems not acting well then I'll figure out a plan B.

Your help is much appreciated!

Angie

Back
Top Bottom