Collecting eggs for broody

Cryss

Eggcentric
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
:jumpy:jumpy:jumpyI’m looking forward to someone becoming broody this spring. I want to chose which eggs she sits on especially since I don’t want another staggard hatching like I had in august. With this unseasonably warm weather in northwest nj (freeze snap today and tomorrow then back to 40s and 50s) I wonder if I should start now, in February! Usually I put choices aside until the next one from each hen is laid. I guess I’m just talking out loud 😁 I guess I know it’s too early, but I’m starting to dream. My last clutch wasn’t in spring, it was late August, and Im hoping I don’t have to wait that long.
Anybody else getting anxious for chick season to begin? :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

I have been collecting eggs for my incubator for 3-7 days before I'm ready to set the hatch.

I select each day's most perfect eggs, examining them, making certain that they're spotlessly clean, and weighing them to ensure that they're within my target size range. I collect more than I intend to set and candle them at setting to ensure I don't have any double-yolks, invisibly-cracked shells, etc.

Then I keep them in a specific bowl that the family knows not to touch for food and turn them a couple times daily.

You could set up a system where however many eggs you want to hatch are selected and stored in a special place, rotating out the oldest ones daily as you collect more, until you get the broody established on her nest and ready to do her job. :)

I use these type of egg holders, both for eggs to eat or to brood. They are on the kitchen shelf behind the counter. With a pencil, I write the date on the eggs, and also what breed they’re from. After one week, if no one is broody, the eggs get eaten. I prefer not to brood eggs older than that, tho I know it’s often done.
I like the 3 piece set up, so when the oldest 6 are gone, that tray goes to the end again.
BC983D9F-DA6E-4138-8173-93C6F4C543AA.jpeg

I use these type of egg holders, both for eggs to eat or to brood. They are on the kitchen shelf behind the counter. With a pencil, I write the date on the eggs, and also what breed they’re from. After one week, if no one is broody, the eggs get eaten. I prefer not to brood eggs older than that, tho I know it’s often done.
I like the 3 piece set up, so when the oldest 6 are gone, that tray goes to the end again.
View attachment 3395265
I do something pretty similar. I really like those egg holders. 😀👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom