1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Collecting the eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BlueCamas, Oct 16, 2011.

1. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I have two 5-6 Plymouth rock bantam pullets with a 6-7 month rooster. The pullets are supposed to be laying, but I have yet to get an egg (I have had them one night so it's understandable). The eggs should be fertile right? Since I only have two hens? How only have two hens, it might take a while to rack up enough eggs to put into an incubator. Do I put the eggs in the fridge before I put them in the incubator? Any hatching savvy people out there, help would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    There are hatch savvy people on here, but Im not one of them! Bumping you to the top! Good luck!! [​IMG]

3. shelleen

shelleen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    I put the eggs in an egg carton, with a block of wood under one end. Each day alternate which end is up, morning and evening. Try to keep them @ 40-50 degrees. I put mine in a cooler in the garage, or in the basement to maintain temps. The longer you wait, the less likely they are to hatch. I would try for a smaller, more successful hatch, than opt for more eggs. No more than a week is my advice. Wait a week or so & see if you're getting an egg a day from each hen, before you start collecting. Also, run your incubator for 1-2 days to stablilize temps/humidity.

Good Luck! Keep us posted on your success...

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have kept eggs for up to 10 days. I have kept eggs for up to 10 days at 65 to 70 degrees before I have put them in the incubator and also on my counter in a room where the temp stays around 80 degrees. My hatches have had the same success rate except the eggs stored at the warmer temp hatched earlier. Usually I collect the eggs I want to hatch for 3 or 4 days then put them in the incubator. The longer they set out the less viable they can become so I don't set any eggs that I have collected beyond 10 days and usually it is within 5 days. I don't handle the eggs too much. I turn on my incubator the day before I set my eggs to let the incubator stabilize. Actually I never turn my incubator off as I do staggered hatches so it always has eggs in it. I usually candle at day 10 and again at day 18 when I take them out of the turner and set them for hatching. Good luck and have fun!!! [​IMG] :thumbsu

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Thanks for all the great info guys [​IMG] I'll keep you updated if we do decide to incubate some.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by