College/University Scholarships

Senior Project? Um, we have to volunteer for 250 hrs if we want to graduate with honors. Otherwise all we have to do is have all our credits.

really lol.. my school used to do that were all you needed to graduate was the credits and do community service but they changed everything. Now we have to do a senior exhibition project, as well as a porfolio, assesment tasks, and we need to have enough credits lol in order to graduate.
Also have you checked collegeboard.com ?​

Last edited:
Make sure your AP classes INCLUDE the test! If you don't pass the test, you can't get the credit. The classes offered at the high school may be free, but the tests were 75-90 a pop. If you can do dual enrollment often all fees are waved for high school students. The more vanilla a class the better shot it'll transferr (example my Us history post 1965 transferred, several of my seminar/workshops did not).

Last edited:
My daughter is 17 and scholarships are few and very far between. She has SAT's in the top 5% and is a 4.0+ student in HS. And she has not been awarded any scholarships, except for some fairly small ones ($1000 each) from our local college for her SAT's. Luckily there is a state-run merit program that will also pick up about $50 per credit up to 12 credits. But otherwise...it's all on us. Besides the minor scholarships and the state merit program she has only been offered student loans. And we prefer her not to be deeply in debt when she graduates as her intended career will require her to attend grad school. So think seriously about borrowing money. We have many friends in their 30's who borrowed money for college and are now in the position of defaulting on their mortgages due to their debt load.

She spent all of last summer writing essays and submitting logo artwork to posts on Fastweb and got nothing. I believe that it is a waste of time unless you are in some niche situation like the first person in your family to go to college, raised by a single parent, incredible financial need (think "living in a homeless shelter").

Don't downplay the cost of living. Most dorm situations are around $10K with room and food...per year. And we hav looked at many colleges, msot are very similar in cost. You can live off campus, usually once you are a sophomore, but unless you want to eat ramen noodles every day rent and utilities can really add up. And then you have to figure in time to cook, shop, and clean.

My daughter qualified by testing at the local university to enter at the age of 16. Instead of taking AP classes (which don't really count for anything in her 4 year college degree program...example: AP bio gets a student out of 1 semester of
Bio 101 at the university, she needs to START with bio 191 so 101 does nothing for her) ...she decided to go right into college. Our community college has it all planned out for students wishing to transfer to the local university so you can compare the classes at both places. The community college here uses the same teachers as the university and the cost is about 1/3 less. So there is an advantage in attending the community college for your core classes if they will transfer. My daughter has been at the community college for 3 semesters, will do one more year, and then transfer to the university to finish up her degree.

Back
Top Bottom