College/University Scholarships

Amen to what Rosalind said! The more you know ahead of time the better!

Good for you for getting on this now. You are already ahead of the game.

You are right. The job market is really rough, especially when as a high schooler you are competing against adults. Are there alternate ways of making cash? Lawn mowing, babysitting, making and selling handmade items, etc? Find a local niche. Is there something particular to your area that can provide money? What jobs are available? I know locally life-guarding positions are always open. There just aren't enough trained lifeguards. The ones that are certified are making pretty decent money and always have a job. Is there something you are really good at that you could give lessons to younger kids? Soccer camps, tennis lessons, etc? Get really creative!! Do you have chickens? Is there a way to make some profit with that? Explore all your options. It actually looks great on a college application that you have started your own business. Make yourself stand out (in a good way!) and you have an edge.

Good luck to you! I am really impressed that you are already working towards this.

I agree that taking Community College classes is much more desirable than AP classes (the only route open to me during HS). Our local Community College will accept students at 16, and will give college credit for work through an early enrollment program. A test is required, but it's pretty simple. My son will be going this route beginning next year.

Our local University has a dual-enrollment program with the Community College. This ensures that the classes that are stated as transferrable credit really are.

Also, please do not write off the costs of living independantly lightly. It's one of the largest expenses of attending college. Many times it comes to much more than the annual tuition costs. In any school you are considering, please make sure that you have checked into the local costs of living and figured those costs into your annual totals. While places like San Francisco State may not seem terribly expensive, living in The City certainly would add up very quickly.

Quote:
VERY true. In state at UW when I was there 2004-2008 ranged between something like 1800-2200 a quarter for tuition, not bad right? The dorm however was about 2000-2200 a quarter... kind of a lot, while your own studio apt if you could afford it was 1000-1300 per MONTH! Most lived in houses sharing rooms though, so their monthly costs could be pushed down to at minimum 600 plus utilities or so a month but those houses had a ton of people in them and you still had to pay to eat. Food is very expensive if you don't have time to cook, I knew some who had near 1000 budgets of food a month because their parents gave them the blank check to do so.

Now that I am going to grad school in a small town in Oregon, small vs Seattle, cost of living has plummeted, but is still running my SO and I about 2k a month from our pockets, half in rent, and that doesn't include any debt payments.

So in the end, cost of living is the majority of the cost.

Nice to see someone else with the same general questions as me
tongue.png
I'll also be a Junior this coming year. I'm signed up for AP Earth/Environmental. I can't really afford to take anymore than that at once. Costs about $85 to take the exam at the end of the course. If it wasn't for that, I'd take AP Psychology too, which is taught online, like my friend did.

I finished my degree using a scholarship particular to the college I was attending. So if you know where you want to go, be sure to check out that school's website for the scholarships that are specific to that school. I got a 75% tuition scholarship, and qualified for the 100% one, but was two weeks too late to get it. This was a few years ago, but I remember I found out everything I needed to know online, then I think I mailed in the application.

I am taking the AP classes mainly because they are better than the regular ones and at my HS they are FREE! We only have to pay for the dual credit courses because a college professor/student comes and teaches it.

I am really looking into Texas Colleges (the big ones so i can change my major if I want) so I will dig threw their websites and see if I can even find the scholarships. Finding the tuition was a battle and a half!
tongue.png

Rosalind that lesson was hard learned in my house. My mom went back to college to learn to be a medical transcriptionist (She would have checked the Doctor's charts and abriviations; I forgot the exact title) and then the college started to go 'bankrupt'. She tried to transfer but apparently none of her credits counted! She threatened to sue and the college 'managed' to stay open long enough to finish her education. I am very wary of small colleges now, and plan on heading to a large University. They might just think of me as another pay check, but at least the can't take my money and run!

YAY! Another Junior! I knew u guys were out there!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thats amazing! Just wondering where did you go? I would love to find a scholarship like that for a Texas University!

I don't know about you but my guidance counsler emails my class scholarships that are available. Just wondering do you have to do a senior project in order to graduate?

Quote:
Senior Project? Um, we have to volunteer for 250 hrs if we want to graduate with honors. Otherwise all we have to do is have all our credits.

I am also almost a junior in high school (once school starts again). I am on fast webs atleast once every 2 weeks. But are there any other web sites I can get scholarships from? I wish byc gave out scholarships.

Back
Top Bottom