Colloidal Silver Dosage

Pics
Can anyone recommend whether I should try the colloidal silver on my chicken?
Have no idea when you posted this, but YES for using it on ANY kind of infection, whether internal or external. CS is all I’ve used on myself AND my animals for years. I have a Silverlungs generator so I make my own 20ppm solution. Ones like the other lady posted about that was above 1000ppm, was probably only an Ionic solution and shouldn’t be taken internally. Only a true colloidal solution, which will be amber yellow in color, should be used orally. Ionic silver will be clear and look like water. I’ve used it on myself and my chickens for 10 years now and I’ve cleared up MANY infections quickly and effectively!! I just got done nebulizing one, that had a respiratory infection. I’m justa couple days, she had dramatically improved but I of course treated her for a full week, which should ALWAYS be done to make sure the infection is killed instead of just weakened, causing it to come back even worse!! I hope she ended making it ❤️‍🩹

Greetings chicken vet girl,

The research, use, and dosage of colloidal silver for animals, is probably one of the most exasperating and confusing subjects!

In my opinion, if a keeper decides they want to try colloidal silver, it's probably because they are desperate to help their chicken. You've done a lot of research, as I did. I started using colloidal silver, in desperation as well. It's a debatable subject, but, I am not going to debate about it. I can only tell you, it is effective in healing many things. However, it is no replacement for an appropriate antibiotic.

I have been using colloidal silver for at least 3 years. I use it for all of my animals. I don't use it as a supplement. It is a treatment, just like any medicine.

As far as toxicity, I have never seen a silver chicken running around. But, one should always assume there is a possibility for toxicity, in over use or excessive amounts. I use CS along with Doxycycline, to boost the antibiotic effectiveness, and have seen no ill effects. It has improved the quality of life, for hens diagnosed with tumors of the oviduct, and internal layers by staving off infection. It eradicates external yeast in two weeks. It heals eye infections, such as cherry eye in dogs. I recently used, it successfully, on my neighbors horse, for conjunctivitis. I treat bumble foot infections with it, too.

There is no documented scientific therapeutic dosage, for adult chickens.

But, here is what I use:

1100 ppm, colloidal silver. (higher concentration, means less is needed, bottle lasts longer)

• .3 mL (full strength 1100 ppm), one time dose, orally for the first day only, of a severe illness.
  • For chicken that is not drinking, I dilute 2 drops of 1100 ppm, in 10 centiliters of water, I draw 2 mL into a syringe and give the chicken .5 to 2 mL, daily, with antibiotic administration. Caution - even CS water can aspirate the chicken.
  • If the chicken is drinking, 10 drops (full strength 1100 ppm) per gallon of drinking water, for the duration of antibiotic course, usually 10 days.

More Notes:
Colloidal Silver comes in different strengths, 10 to 40 ppm are the most common. You can use the 10 ppm on a hen. It's very diluted, you can give a drop or two to the hen. That should be effective on a hen. But, a 30 or 40 ppm, would be better for external applications.

The recommended dosage for people using a 40 ppm colloidal silver, is 1.25-2.25 mL, daily. And that's a nutritional dose.

Because a dosage for animals is still not established. I take into account that a 6 pound hen is only 4% the weight of an average, adult human. Like all medications, colloidal silver can be over used. So it is important, to try and use a proportionate dosage, in relation to the size of the animal.

I don't use the CS as an antibiotic alternative, for internal infections. I have tried it, and much time was lost for the sick hen, with very little improvement. For external wounds and minor infections, it can be used alone. But here again, combining it with another medicine, can achieve better results. I am also cautious of the potential for toxicity, if a hen is on a long term care regimen. For instance, hens with tumors or internal laying. Their treatment can extend for months. But, this would also be excellent for a hen with salpingitis or suspected egg yolk peritonitis, along with an antibiotic.

These are my thoughts and notes on the use of Colloidal Silver for animals, specifically chickens.

I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)
I bought 500 ppm from Amazon to use for my sick hen who has reproductive cancer that has spread to the stomach. She now has sour crop. What would you recommend the dosage be that I give her. Was thinking about putting it in her water as she doesn't want to eat but does drink.

If your bird has a known reproductive cancer, then that is likely the reason for the sour crop. When they have cancer digestion can slow or stop, which causes the crop issue. I saw in another thread that you are doing some other treatments for the cancer, but my experience is that it won't respond to treatment. Once they stop digesting and the crop starts slowing or backing up, then her time left is probably limited. I don't think the silver is going to help, as long as contents sit in the crop and don't move through, they will sour. I'm very sorry. If you want to try, then I doubt very much that any amount is really going to hurt her. :hugs

At the mom
If your bird has a known reproductive cancer, then that is likely the reason for the sour crop. When they have cancer digestion can slow or stop, which causes the crop issue. I saw in another thread that you are doing some other treatments for the cancer, but my experience is that it won't respond to treatment. Once they stop digesting and the crop starts slowing or backing up, then her time left is probably limited. I don't think the silver is going to help, as long as contents sit in the crop and don't move through, they will sour. I'm very sorry. If you want to try, then I doubt very much that any amount is really going to hurt her. :hugs
At the moment, she is still using the bathroom though watery and getting around.

Back
Top Bottom