1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

colloidal silver

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Torch404, Apr 29, 2009.

  1. Torch404

    Torch404 Chillin' With My Peeps

    218
    22
    133
    Jan 15, 2009
    Northern Cali
    Anyone use colloidal silver to cure anything with their birds. I saw a place selling it and was wondering what an if it is effctive for. Please let me know, what you used it for, how much you used and how you administered it. Any info would help thank you.
     
  2. sparkles2307

    sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

    I only ever use it for myself, but I wouldnt think it'd hurt the birds...
     
  3. ga*chick*

    ga*chick* Chillin' With My Peeps

    143
    0
    119
    Apr 28, 2009
    Ga
    I was going to try this for myself, then I did a bit of research. My local herb shop use to make and sell their own. What I found was scary. Wish I had the site bookmarked. I'd think twice...
     
  4. chickeepoo

    chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

    319
    0
    139
    Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    My understanding is that colloidal silver is anti-fungal and good for sinus infections, among other ailments. One of my friends claimed that she mixed up a gallon and sprayed it on the north side of the block on her porch, and it killed the algae growing there. I'd say be careful and REALLY do your homework- this is strong stuff. My sister always uses natural healing products like this, but I haven't let her spray any of that up MY noseĀ…
     
  5. Renee

    Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Silver is a poison. If consumed in quantities it can cause irreversible damage.

    It has well-known antibiotic properties, in other words, it kills bacteria. It was used in the nineteenth century in patent medicines but it was removed from the pharmacopia once the ill effects were learned in the twentieth century.

    It should not be ingested by animals or humans.

    Here is a scientific journal article from UC:

    http://dermatology.cdlib.org/111/case_reports/argyria/wadhera.html
     
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  6. Torch404

    Torch404 Chillin' With My Peeps

    218
    22
    133
    Jan 15, 2009
    Northern Cali
    Did you read that article? The only problem they site was a guy drinking 16oz a day for 10 months. PLEASE I'm just talking about a couple squirts down a chickens beak.
     
  7. dlhunicorn

    dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

    4,871
    22
    251
    Jan 11, 2007
  8. Silver Snarks

    Silver Snarks New Egg

    1
    0
    6
    Jun 16, 2012
    I used it to cure my white leghorns of an intestinal parasite.

    Anything in large enough quantities is toxic, even water, but, if used the way it has been used (and documented since the 700's BC), it works very well and is safe.

    I use 2 oz of 25 ppm colloidal silver solution mixed with a pint of filtered (brita) tap water.

    It can also be applied as a topical. Most burn centers use colloidal silver as part of the treatment of sever burns.Military bandages use colloidal silver because it works and doesn't die at high or low temperatures.

    Do not ingest silver nitrate or other compounds. They can be toxic. In small doses, they are effective. They use silver nitrate drops in baby's eyes to prevent bacterial blindness.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by