Colloncas, Huastecs, & Quechuas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to tell you about a pretty little chick that hatched today. I have a little dark blue laced blue OEG hen with black skin. I keep her just to hatch eggs (and because my hubby likes her). Last year my white Huastec fathered a bunch of eggs with her and I gave about 6 to a friend. She doesn't like the eggs for eating and 3 hens went broody in the past few weeks. She does not want any more little black chickens, but wanted to give the eggs from under the hens to me to incubate and I gave her some EE and RIR eggs to put under them instead. Get this, all her chickens are solid black, the rooster has a few flame red feathers and this pure white chick with white skin hatched from her egg!!! Whats UP With THAT!!! Funny...

recessive white??

I got three of the pure white ones with white skin. The rest are normal dark legs black plumage, and one gray like the pure OEG grandma, and a very dark partridge with a puffy face like Huastec grandpa.

I got three of the pure white ones with white skin.  The rest are normal dark legs black plumage, and one gray like the pure OEG grandma, and a very dark partridge with a puffy face like Huastec grandpa. 
That is fantastic pretty little guys arn't they. I really like the White with blue skin I do not know if that is I should be breeding for so I will put all of the white ones in a separate pen I will have 2 roos and 3 hens plus 2 chicks that are 2 weeks or so. Congratulations on your hatch

That is fantastic pretty little guys arn't they. I really like the White with blue skin I do not know if that is I should be breeding for so I will put all of the white ones in a separate pen I will have 2 roos and 3 hens plus 2 chicks that are 2 weeks or so. Congratulations on your hatch
I think we have been advised not to separate them, but to keep the types mixed like the Hedemora and Icelandic. I always call it black skin, because many folks don't understand that the deep inky blue/black is unique.
One of my white chicks has five toes, so my Copetona hen I hatched from SparkyCrows must be its grandmama (her pullet eggs looked the same as the OEG at that time and 1 of the 5 mamas had a crest when it matured).
I hatched one mail order Huastec this year that I hope is a hen - I should know soon - all blackish brown with lots of red feathering. My latest order of SoAms from Sparky and ChooksChick is in the incubator. Hopefully it will get cooler for another shipment towards fall, but usually cool enough there is too late for eggs here
idunno.gif

These hatched from the same flock
I am going to put this lady and the 2 hens from Yashar and breed them. 2 of the chicks that hatched a couple of weeks ago are silked so they will also be in the breeding pen. I have 2 roos 1 has normal single comb and other ones has a really different comb. They should produce beatiful birds.

I have not heard of or seen pics of the Copetona breed could someone please post a pic and some info I would love to know more about them I love the SA breeds that I have seen. Where do they originate from . Who has the original stock who has them for sell .Thanks

[COLOR=333333][COLOR=B22222]Super Important Notice[/COLOR][/COLOR]​
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=4B0082]I will not be offering hatching eggs next year.[/COLOR]:( [/COLOR]​
[COLOR=333333]I'm very sorry for all of you who have PMed me about getting on next years waiting list. We are making some major chance to our little farm here and I don't have the confidence that I'll have things set in place for next year.[/COLOR]​
[COLOR=333333]If something changes I'll let everyone know (perhaps you should be sure to subscribe to this thread).[/COLOR]​
[COLOR=333333]Also, I won't feel bad if you who got eggs from me offered them on BYC (or elsewhere). This stock is all amazing and the more stewards the better.[/COLOR]​
[COLOR=333333]Again, I'm soooooo sorry.[/COLOR]​
[COLOR=333333]P.S. Next year will be like I'm on vacation....what will I do with all my extra time![/COLOR]​
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=006400]This is the old listing just so you can understand what has happened...[/COLOR][/COLOR]​
[rule][rule][COLOR=333333]Hello everybody...[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Hatching eggs are $48 per dozen plus shipping (Usually around $15). I ship out eggs Monday through Wednesday. I always try to send a few extras.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]PM me to let me know what you want and when you want it. And we can see what we can do...[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Feel free to mix and match. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Here is the list of what I have available at this time:[/COLOR]​
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=008000]Huastec[/COLOR][/COLOR]​
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=008000]Sweet Potato Quechua[/COLOR][/COLOR]​
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=008000]Colloncas[/COLOR][/COLOR]​
[COLOR=333333]All are winter hearty.[/COLOR]​
[COLOR=333333][rule][/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]# 1 - Huastec[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]The Huastec is one of the rarest breeds in the world. It's an ancient black-boned fowl from southern Mexico and Ecuador.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]The Huastec produces lots of medium to large eggs, is calm, confiding, personable and fairly quiet.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Whereas the breeds of some roosters, like the Leghorn, tend to fiercely exclude other roosters from access to hens and shelter, the Huastec is a cooperative breeder. They can be run in braces; three to five roosters to accompany a little bevy of hens. Each rooster has a favorite hen and vise versa. The Huastec is incredibly cold hardy and make wonderful parents. The roosters are just as attentive to the chicks as the hens.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]
Huestec%201scaled.JPG
DSC09851.sized.jpg
[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]
Huestec%202scaled.jpg
Huestec_Hen_1.jpg
[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]
900x900px-LL-e5670e15_Huastecroo2.jpeg
900x900px-LL-6fc5e431_Huastechen2.jpeg
[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333][rule][/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]# 2 - Sweet Potato Quechua[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]This is an antique South American relative of the North American Ameraucana. Our strains have Marquesas Island Junglefowl (Gallus temmincki Gould) ancestry as well as old Peruvian Indian village hen genetics. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Some Sweet Potato Quechua produce unusually blue or turquoise eggs and some will produce tea yellow or pale pinkish brown eggs. Most lay a pale aqua or stone hued egg. Being a fantastic layer of medium eggs. It is often an even more consistent winter layer than the Ameraucana and it’s still more cold hardy.
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]This unusual breed is a great forager, unusually sweet tempered and lovely. Sweet Potato Quechuas make fine mothers. They are an unusually striking fowl that don’t ruin a garden. The roosters have a musical crow and are fairly quiet compared with most breeds.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]
900x900px-LL-3f053432_IMG_0559.jpeg
Sweet%20Amer%2023scaled.JPG
[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333][rule][/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]# 3 - Colloncas (very nice line)[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Colloncas are one of the original and most ancient breeds of the Mapuche Indian culture of Chile. They produce generous numbers of colourful eggs and like many South American fowl lay well into the winter. Some hens will produce a pale sea foam hued egg, others robin blue, ash grey and even lilac. A single pair of Colloncas may produce hens that each lay a different colour. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]Colloncas are best known for innate tameness. They enjoy being held but unlike Silky fowl, which also enjoy human companionship, the Colloncas is completely winter hardy and can evade predators ably. It is a fairly strong flier and one of the more quiet breeds. Colloncas are very good at tick and fly control and are traditionally kept with sheep and llamas. The Colloncas is one of the two primary ancestors of the Araucana. It is advisable that the poultier keep at least two roosters with a flock of hens, three is the ideal number as Colloncas have strong pair bonds and the roosters work in cooperation to defend and chaperone hens and chicks. As a rule, true Colloncas roosters do not fight with one another and are never aggressive with people. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]
Collonca%20Rooster%201scaled.JPG
900x900px-LL-ecf20a8e_Colloncaspair.jpeg
200x200px-LL-a1ffe840_ColloncaHen1.jpeg
[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333][rule][/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Please PM me if you want to arrange a purchase (or have questions).[/COLOR]
I can say with first hand knowledge that the description for the Huastec being great parents both hen and roos is dead on I have this breed and they hatched some chicks and the male is as involed as mom. In fact everything the description says is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom