Colombian blacktail ? Confusion ?

If the father was Rhode Island Red and the mother was the Sussex, then you should only get red pullets and white cockerels. But you seem to have a red cockerel, so something isn't right.

If someone raised sexlink pullets (red) and sexlink cockerels (white) and crossed them to each other, you would get both genders in both colors. Crossing sexlinks does NOT make more sexlinks. I'm guessing that's what happened in your case.
Just so confusing as it’s from a fairly well known farm in the north east just confused how they could have got it so messed up especially as I have used them many times before for silkies, barnevelder orpingtons etc

Just so confusing as it’s from a fairly well known farm in the north east just confused how they could have got it so messed up especially as I have used them many times before for silkies, barnevelder orpingtons etc

In your case, I would probably keep the bird until it either crows, mates with females, or lays an egg. I think it looks more like a cockerel than a pullet to me, but it's easy enough to be wrong. Given that it's already 15 weeks old, I don't think you'll have to wait all that much longer to be positive.

Sadly I have a beautiful buff Orpington cockeral who is very close to my heart already and as I only have now 6 girls not sure they can share

The most likely problem would be if they over-mate the pullets.
But if this bird isn't mating, it certainly is not OVER-mating! And if it IS mating, then at least you can be sure about the gender.

Last edited:
The middle is the pullet from the same stock. However in my opinion she doesn’t look like a columbian blacktail either she looks almost like a pure breed Rhode Island Red. On the left hand side for comparison is my buff Orpington pullet from my own stock. Very confused with what I have been sent.
Wow. Her coloring is gorgeous.

In your case, I would probably keep the bird until it either crows, mates with females, or lays an egg. I think it looks more like a cockerel than a pullet to me, but it's easy enough to be wrong. Given that it's already 15 weeks old, I don't think you'll have to wait all that much longer to be positive.

The most likely problem would be if they over-mate the pullets.
But if this bird isn't mating, is certainly is not OVER-mating! And if it IS mating, then at least you can be sure about the gender.
That sounds like a plan ! Hard to warrant having two cockerals in a small flock for family eggs. Then if not I’ll have to find him a home

Back
Top Bottom