color changing comb and wattle

katieJo

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 11, 2014
Mesa AZ
I went out to clean the coop this morning and after I was done my Barred Rock came over for me to pet her. I pet her for about 5 min. After that I noticed that her comb and wattle turned light pink, almost a whitish color. After a few min. it turned back red. Is this normal? She is about 21 weeks. Not laying yet.

I went out to clean the coop this morning and after I was done my Barred Rock came over for me to pet her. I pet her for about 5 min. After that I noticed that her comb and wattle turned light pink, almost a whitish color. After a few min. it turned back red. Is this normal? She is about 21 weeks. Not laying yet.

When a pullet gets a bright red comb it means she is about to start laying eggs. I would guess she is about to start laying eggs. She is the right age.

I am not sure about the comb and wattles changing colors within a few minutes.

I've noticed a couple of my Black Autralorps doing that too. At first I thought my hen was anemic and got worried about mites but I never found any on her. Then I noticed my rooster doing it when my son was holding him. I presume this is something of a stress response?

I think it's more of a hormone surge, it happens to my blue Langshan all the time. It is nothing to worry about, it just happens. Can mean she will start laying fairly soon.

Back
Top Bottom