Color Genetics help....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by doubleatraining, Feb 14, 2012.

1. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I'm finally getting a handle on the whole BBS chart but now I have a new question....

First is a Delaware considered white or silver?

What would Splash over white/silver produce? If I remember correctly white is dominant right??

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    There are two kinds of white - Dominant and Recessive.

Delawares are silver though.

Dominant white basically replaces any black coloration with white.

Recessive white replaces any and all color with white.

The silver of a Delaware x Splash bird will just make a bunch of blues. Genetically most will be silver though but you won't see much except in the neck and shoulders on males.

Splash x dominant white = All white birds, some might have tiny bits of blue coming through.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

And two copies of dominant white (cannot get in a first generation crossing) will replace both black and red pigment.

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri

As Illia said, Delaware are silver.

I would like to add that delaware are a barred columbian variety. They carry a gene that causes the barring in the tail and the intermittent black in the hackles. They also carry a gene called columbian that makes their bodies white ( silver) and reduces the amount of black in the wings and hackles. Normally birds that are the columbian variaty have black in their hackles but the barring gene in the delaware is breaking up the black pattern on the feathers causing the spotty look.

Tim

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    not realy.. it just dilut pheomelanin to a buff color.. Chamois polish is just one example

6. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands

The experiments that showed this all white, when pure I/I, outcome, used a heavy melanized breed.

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009

I would love to read more on this henk..

8. tadkerson

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Birds that are solid white and homozygous dominant white are also hypostatic self black. Birds that are heterozygous dominant white and hypostatic self black can be white, white showing some black ( specs, partial feather or whole feather) or rarely show a very light gray color.

Hypostatic Self black birds are usually extended black but some are birchen ( like in white leghorns) .

Birds that are homozygous dominant white and hypostatic gold wild type will express the red pyle variety. Heterozygous dominant white and hypostatic gold wild type will produce a red pyle variety that will show some black ( specs, etc).

I produced a dominant white bird that had a buff head and hackles. The birds were gold dark brown restricted on extended black- no melanotic.

I have seen this in the birds I worked with and it can also be found in the research.

http://www.genetics.org/content/168/3/1507

http://ps.fass.org/content/76/2/386.short

http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jpsa/43/2/43_104/_article

Tim

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  9. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Jubilee indian game. Ml plus charcoal.
    In my own experience, dom.white can boost the effect of these melanizers.
    Remember my white patterned vorwerks? While the black sibblings still showed some gold leakage in the hackle, the white sibblings did not.
    Homozygous dom.whites also got more pattern on the body like more of a quail pattern instead of lakenvelder pattern.

10. tadkerson

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Could you elaborate on the homzygous I/I and the quail pattern.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by