color genetics question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SteveH, Jan 14, 2011.

1. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I've got several chicks this color by a White Ameraucana over Speckled Sussex pullets . Will they loose the spangleing with their adult feathers ? This chick is 13 days old [ sorry about the flash blur ] .

[​IMG]

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Cool Your White is probably masking Wheaten. But yes, Het. Mottled Chicks usually have some mottling as juvenilles but it usually molts out after a few months.

3. SteveH

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Thanks Clint . TBH his genetics have me totally guessing , but he's probably not wheaten under the white . He threw all whites in adult plummage on white Ameraucana , but they were hatched as yellow , smokey , or blue . On a cross with the typical patterned EE , one hatched solid blue and stayed blue , the other hatched brown chipmunk and is feathering white with blue and red patterning . This hatch , out of SSs and GLWs , most are solid blue or black , a blue chocolate hatchling is feathering red and blue patterned , and all the brown chipmunks are now feathering with the spangles .

ETA : I was told that on frizzled white Cochins , he produced half solid whites , half solid blues . The guy had some puzzling genes LOL

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

So, Steve, you got some surprises from your hatch, huh? Funny how those genes work, isn't it?

5. chicken burger

chicken burger Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2010
    my cohin/silky cross OEG as a chick...
    [​IMG]

5 months old now.....
    [​IMG]

6. SteveH

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:[​IMG] Yes , and the more I learn about color genetics , the more I learn there is more to learn . [​IMG] One of the things about Ameraucanas I'm learning is that the different varieties originated from several different breeders useing different breeds and colors to come up with that bird that meets the SOP for any certain variety , and later breeders have added more on the down low ; its anybody's guess what's lurking behind those visible colors today .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by