Color genetics thread.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by redrooster99, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Bama1

Bama1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    DeKalb County, Alabama
    Thank you for your quick reply his father was the English Chocolate/Black fellow and mom was American black. I will look closer tomorrow at the color of the hackles I just always though it was an iridescent blue. And yes a sunburst color neck would be an accurate description. I had looked and looked for a "color" that he matches and couldn't find anything. Thank you again

2. Adorkable

Adorkable Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Thank you, this was very helpful!

3. malndobe

malndobe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2013
    S. CA
    Looking at the Brockbar photos CanuckBock posted, they are exactly what I wanted to ask about. Until those photos, and a bird I have, every barred bird I have seen in person, in photos, or in breed illustrations has a barred tail. What genetics give the barred body but a solid colored tail?

4. Tammylr

Tammylr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2015
    North carolina
    Looking at the Brockbar photos CanuckBock posted, they are exactly what I wanted to ask about. Until those photos, and a bird I have, every barred bird I have seen in person, in photos, or in breed illustrations has a barred tail. What genetics give the barred body but a solid colored tail?[/quote

Wheaten lets there be a black tail but the gene site says that it can sometimes fade.

5. malndobe

malndobe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2013
    S. CA

6. Tammylr

Tammylr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2015
    North carolina
    He does look like a rhodebar. Very pretty.

7. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Interesting...in Grant Brereton's 21st Century Poultry Breeding, page 26, lower right photo is similar to your male. [​IMG]

Caption says:
    Glad it helped you. [​IMG]

Most often I would expect to see barred tails in my males.

[​IMG]

But as the progression of crossings go on my barred/cuckoo breedings...

[​IMG]

Solid coloured tail feathers begin to make appearances...this male in front has solid beetle green black in his tail feathers. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As does this male, solid beetle green black in some of his tail feathers.

[​IMG]

More colour yet again but the red is still broken up with some subtle barring.

[​IMG]

In a baby like this...you can already SEE the tail feathers will be solid, solid in no pigment white.

[​IMG]

Baby like this one above becomes a male like this one on the bottom of the photo...

[​IMG]

Some barring marks on the tail but also solid white feathers. Based on eb Brown and/or eWh Wheaten in this line.

Here is an example of what a single dose of Wheaten will do to an otherwise beetle green black tail on an eb Brown base (NO barring/cuckoo tho). The brown colour is more a diluted black or as finger painting will reveal, a mix of both chicken colour pigments, red AND black = brown (or copper in this case since the bubbles on the surface of the feather are making a green shine).

[​IMG]

This male is a standard sized Red Chantecler (Partridge eb/eb x Wheaten eWh/eWh = eb/eWh).

[​IMG]
    His tail is copper, so a muted beetle green black that is diluted with red/orange.​

Wheaten eWh also disallows black markings in the hackle...so you get a clean unmarked feather in that region. This particular male lacks the Partridge "diamonds" in the hackle. Wheaten can be dominant or recessive pending what other genetics are in the combination...a rather confusing allele of the e-series.

eb Brown allows for a solid tail colour as does E Extended Black and Birchen ER, well Brichen allows for the patterned tail feathers in males, examples being MALES in Polish & Sebright have laced tails, Silver Spangled Hamburger has spangled, and the Campine has autosomal barred.

Hope some of this helps--probably clear as mud, eh? [​IMG]

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

2 people like this.
  8. Bama1

Bama1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    DeKalb County, Alabama
    Thank you so much for the assistance!

9. Melissa77

Melissa77 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2013
    Maine
    I'm so lost cause I can't seem to find speciFic answers when googling. So I thought I'd try here. I'm understanding a bit about what makes what but i cant seem to simply find "how do i know what is recessive and what is dominant in my bird?"

I feel as though this is either one of those it isn't that simple or oh here's a chart kind of questions lol.

Thanks!

10. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Since you are starting to learn it is best to go slow and learn small chunks of info . There is a lot to learn . Yes there are a few charts around but only on 1 color gene at a time . Pick a color you do not understand and ask questions about that color . It has taken me years to learn what I know . Still learning .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by