Color genetics thread.

Can you have mottled or mottle like birds pop up in paint lines with Silkies? I have a pet quality black split to paint rooster that is paired with a paint hen and one of the chicks is black with a couple of white spots with pigment holes. Is this considered mottle, revers paint, or something else?

Last year I hatched a chick from my mottled Cochin hen and a buff brahma rooster. She is black with little orange around her throat and she has green eyes (her parents have orange eyes). And I have two eggs incubating right now that are from her and I'm not quite sure who the father is. If the chicks father is its grandpa (the buff brahma roo) what will it look like?
Like its mother but with more orange?

could be a reverse paint, or more likely genes not stable for this cross breed back to one side or other, and you will probably get more consistent results.

you must have blue genes in parents if you breed a splash cochin to a black cochin the result is all blue offspring. the originals you start with need the blue, black, splash genes. if that makes sense to you

Genetically, what is going on with this 10 week old chick? I've tried to wrap my head around how he got his markings and coloration.
His father is a true Wheaten Ameraucana from show stock/champion bloodlines.
I *suspect* that he hen pictured is his mother because she is my only hen with silver, mahogany, lacing, autosomal barring, and some of her feathers are tipped (mottled?) with blue.

I hatched out these two chicks I know whose parents the chick on the left is (the blue one) but the chick on the right I'm unsure of.
I think it came from a Cochin egg so the moms could be lavender or splash, and if the mother is Cochin the father is a buff brahma because it has a pea comb.
But if the mother is a buff brahma then I think the father is my blue Cochin roo.

So who are the parents and what color will it grow up to be?

Back
Top Bottom