Color genetics thread.

Pics
Why are the Rhode Island chickens two different BREEDS...the White (1922) and the Red (1904-single comb / 1905-rose comb)...those should be varieties within the breed, not breeds segregated by themselves.

Haha fun rant! I agree with you.. I'd completely missed on missing spaces for Wheatens?! Strange.

As for above, I am not sure why... could it have to do with certain colors being created separately from the 'main breed'? I forget the details, it goes something like White X were created using Y,Z etc with the implication none of the Colored X being involved in the make up or only minimally.

What do you think of certain quirks such as Blue in chickens- why is it called that when the homozygous phenotype is Splash and why isn't Splash accepted in the standard- I'm aware some have been working towards getting recognition for Splash...

Haha fun rant!  I agree with you..    I'd completely missed on missing spaces for Wheatens?!  Strange.

As for above, I am not sure why...   could it have to do with certain colors being created separately from the 'main breed'?  I forget the details, it goes something like White X were created using Y,Z etc with the implication none of the Colored X being involved in the make up or only minimally.

What do you think of certain quirks such as Blue in chickens- why is it called that when the homozygous phenotype is Splash and why isn't Splash accepted in the standard- I'm aware some have been working towards getting recognition for Splash...

I saw the other day where Splash was accepted in the Cochin's.

Has alot, I mean ALOT of articles here on buff varieties.
celebrate.gif

Quote:
The splash variety is a natural occurrence. When two blue fowl are bred together, the resulting offspring will be 50% blue, 25% black, and 25% splash in appearance. When you breed two splash together, all offspring are splash in appearance. The more the resulting generations are bred together, the fewer blue splashes that will result. To add back the blue splashes in the plumage, the parent color blue is bred back in to create the balance of color desired by the breeder. When bred well, the Splash is a very striking variety.

Reference shape of male and female on page 79 and 80 in the American Standard of Perfection 2010.

Reference weights on page 305 in the American Standard of Perfection 2010.

In pursuit of the NO Male Wheaten variety, more firewood to the burning question...
somad.gif

Recent additions past your own copies of the 2010 APA SOP's...there are now....<<drumroll please!>>...Blue Wheaten OEGB (male description basically says to replace the black areas with slatey blue), the Ko Shamo Standard (Revised October 12, 2013) has Wheaten males, and the Marans have a Wheaten Male description...

Let's lookit two of the WHEATEN male descriptions, shall weeze...
big_smile.png

:
WHEATEN MARANS
COLOR -- MALE

Disqualifications: Spotted Breast. Black or no Triangular wing bays at all.

Wheaten cocks are black, with a coppery-red coat, and so looking like the Black Copper cocks except as for the triangular wing mirror which is brown.

Comb, Face, Wattles and Earlobes: Bright red.
Beak: Light horn shading to white at tip.
Eyes: Reddish bay.
Shanks and Toes: Pinkish white.
Head: Light orange, free from dark feathers. (varying from golden-red to brown-red )
Neck: Hackle: Light orange, free from dark feathers. (varying from golden-red to brown-red )
Front of neck: Black.
Back: Mahogany Red
Saddle: Mahogany Red color matching the hackles
Tail: Main Tail: Black with reddish cast.
Sickles and Coverts: Black with glints of beetle green
Wings: Shoulders: Strong Mahogany Red
Bows: Strong Mahogany Red to match back
Coverts: Lustrous Black forming a bluish black armband.
Primaries: Black, edged in brown.
Secondaries: Brown with internal Black barbs forms a Brown Triangular wing bay.
Breast: Black.
Body and Stern: Black.
Legs: Lower Thighs—Black
Shank and Toe Feathering—Black.
Ear Down: Brown
Under-color: Light slate. Very light in hackle and saddle.

So still NO answers as to why there are some BREEDS that have NO Wheaten males and others, do...I think I shall go ask two sanctioned judges and see if I can roust out some comments from them...if'n they are not too busy to entertain a bitta SOP discussion...may take me a while to draft up a post, but I shall get round to it...

Off I meander...
wee.gif

I'll report back here if I dun learn sumthun...

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

• My Coop
Oh do tell more...all I could get is Ermine (not Ermenett--auto-corrected to "permanent??" ack!) which is Columbian (like in Brahmas)...are you talking like Pyle/Pile with the single dose of dom white? The barring/cuckoo would indeed make for some interesting plumage...I can make out some tail feathers thar and amazingly FUN pattern. Very nice and big nod of approval on the fun colour pattern! Okay this is what I found out . There once was a Ermenett breed in the USA . Never recognized . Not any left . Took me 3 years of searching and breeding to figure out what I had . These came to me as splash Araucana at the sale barn . A tufted tailed . It did not produce blue when bred to black Ameraucana hens . Tried to talk to Araucana breeders about these and they all said they were splash cuckoo . So they did not know . Finally found Ermenett described . Started calling it Ermenett gene and was told by Nicalandia / Marvin that there was no such gene . It had been proven to be a form of dominant white that causes this . So it seems it is not the dominant white we are used to . It is a fun gene and has the same splash effect on red also .
Look on Sand Hill Preservation's website and look under the poultry catalog. Glenn has a small write up on the Erminette and who was working with it.

Hope this works. I tried copying and now going to try to paste.
This is from their (Sand Hill) price list.
Erminettes (AMB): We are still concerned about culling too heavily and limiting our genetic diversity on these birds. We have made two pens - those with gold spots and those with black. While there will be some overlap with the genes involved, leg color is an issue as both white and yellow legs are present. Once there gets to be a larger population, we will need as a group of interested individuals, to decide which route to take. This breed is not as yet listed in the APA Standard. Chicks $5.00 each (15) (SOLD OUT THROUGH 5/5/15).

Last edited:
I've thought about ordering some of these birds and try working with them, but I have a problem with space and sometimes I get discouraged easily. I know I need to work on that.

I've stuck with my Green Egger Naked Neck project longer than anything I've started.

Back
Top Bottom