Color genetics thread.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by redrooster99, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California

Haha fun rant! I agree with you.. I'd completely missed on missing spaces for Wheatens?! Strange.

As for above, I am not sure why... could it have to do with certain colors being created separately from the 'main breed'? I forget the details, it goes something like White X were created using Y,Z etc with the implication none of the Colored X being involved in the make up or only minimally.

What do you think of certain quirks such as Blue in chickens- why is it called that when the homozygous phenotype is Splash and why isn't Splash accepted in the standard- I'm aware some have been working towards getting recognition for Splash...

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas

I saw the other day where Splash was accepted in the Cochin's.

3. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California

Cool! Do you know if the standard calls for specifications on the coloring/patterning?

4. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas

No, I just saw it in a Facebook post from Cackle Hatchery. I liked their page so j see their posts

5. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Cool and thanks!

6. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop

In pursuit of the NO Male Wheaten variety, more firewood to the burning question... [​IMG]

Recent additions past your own copies of the 2010 APA SOP's...there are now....<<drumroll please!>>...Blue Wheaten OEGB (male description basically says to replace the black areas with slatey blue), the Ko Shamo Standard (Revised October 12, 2013) has Wheaten males, and the Marans have a Wheaten Male description...

Let's lookit two of the WHEATEN male descriptions, shall weeze... [​IMG]

So still NO answers as to why there are some BREEDS that have NO Wheaten males and others, do...I think I shall go ask two sanctioned judges and see if I can roust out some comments from them...if'n they are not too busy to entertain a bitta SOP discussion...may take me a while to draft up a post, but I shall get round to it...

Off I meander... [​IMG]

I'll report back here if I dun learn sumthun...

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

7. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
  8. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Look on Sand Hill Preservation's website and look under the poultry catalog. Glenn has a small write up on the Erminette and who was working with it.

9. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Hope this works. I tried copying and now going to try to paste.
    This is from their (Sand Hill) price list.
    Erminettes (AMB): We are still concerned about culling too heavily and limiting our genetic diversity on these birds. We have made two pens - those with gold spots and those with black. While there will be some overlap with the genes involved, leg color is an issue as both white and yellow legs are present. Once there gets to be a larger population, we will need as a group of interested individuals, to decide which route to take. This breed is not as yet listed in the APA Standard. Chicks $5.00 each (15) (SOLD OUT THROUGH 5/5/15).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  10. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I've thought about ordering some of these birds and try working with them, but I have a problem with space and sometimes I get discouraged easily. I know I need to work on that.

I've stuck with my Green Egger Naked Neck project longer than anything I've started.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by