Color genetics thread.

Pics
I had a strange question. While on BYC I saw a photo of a gorgeous snowy tan colored hen with dark brown hackle feathers. She was one of the most beautiful hens I've ever seen. However, I can't find the picture now! Does anyone know the genetics behind how to make a chicken like this or have a similar picture of one?

Thanks.
smile.png

Do you mean something like this? These are Pioneers, with a Wellsummer in the first photo, which are a kind of mutt "breed" bred for meat, so who knows exactly what are in them. The ones I've purchased have either been this color, or barred in shades of red/white and yellow/white. It's my understanding it's the columbian gene that makes for the dark hackles and light body pattern.

Do you mean something like this? These are Pioneers, with a Wellsummer in the first photo, which are a kind of mutt "breed" bred for meat, so who knows exactly what are in them. The ones I've purchased have either been this color, or barred in shades of red/white and yellow/white. It's my understanding it's the columbian gene that makes for the dark hackles and light body pattern.

Those are beautiful! Thank you for the pictures!

However, I think the one I saw had darker, patterned hackles and a lighter body. This definitely helps though, since I wanted to know the cross behind the coloration.

[.
Originally Posted by GitaBooks

I had a strange question. While on BYC I saw a photo of a gorgeous snowy tan colored hen with dark brown hackle feathers. She was one of the most beautiful hens I've ever seen. However, I can't find the picture now! Does anyone know the genetics behind how to make a chicken like this or have a similar picture of one?

Thanks.

Is it like this one?

Sorry if this is your photo and want it removed let me know. I just borrowed it because if this question that was asked.

This article does a good job of explaining speckled, spangled, mottled and Mille fleur.

http://m.ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/59/7/1370.long?view=long&pmid=7393852

Thanks.. The article was a good read. I had already read the articles it mentioned in the abstract. I'll look around for the others I've read and pass them onto you.I still feel like the spangling desired in the Orloff needs to have the pigment modifiers for hyper then absent color...otherwise its mottled and not spangled.

When breeding black silkies , and you want to breed for true black silkies , what would you want in the pen and any tips on breeding for true black. I am guessing black on black for sure .
you'll need to test breed your parent stock to a wild type color. I use silver Phoenix. (I know you're breeding silkies but to get a full view of what your blacks could produce you need the most recessive genetic partner).

Once you see what your breeding stock can produce, you keep the ones that hatched 100% black offspring.

Hi! New to color genetics & was hoping someone could possibly tell me what a Gold Laced Brahma cock (with some red leakage) over a Blue Brahma hen might make? Any ideas? Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hi! New to color genetics & was hoping someone could possibly tell me what a Gold Laced Brahma cock (with some red leakage) over a Blue Brahma hen might make? Any ideas? Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)
Half blue half black most likely, may or may not show leakage

Those are beautiful! Thank you for the pictures!

However, I think the one I saw had darker, patterned hackles and a lighter body. This definitely helps though, since I wanted to know the cross behind the coloration.

Sounds like wheaten with maybe columbian also? The pattern in the photos I posted (dark hackles, lighter body) is wheaten. Columbian will add a pattern to the hackles, but I'm not sure if the wheaten is overridden by the columbian. You might google "wheaten chickens" and also "columbian buff" and see if any photos come up similar to what you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom