Color genetics thread.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by redrooster99, Sep 26, 2014.

1. malndobe

malndobe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2013
    S. CA
    Do you mean something like this? These are Pioneers, with a Wellsummer in the first photo, which are a kind of mutt "breed" bred for meat, so who knows exactly what are in them. The ones I've purchased have either been this color, or barred in shades of red/white and yellow/white. It's my understanding it's the columbian gene that makes for the dark hackles and light body pattern.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Those are beautiful! Thank you for the pictures!

However, I think the one I saw had darker, patterned hackles and a lighter body. This definitely helps though, since I wanted to know the cross behind the coloration.

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    [.
    Originally Posted by GitaBooks

I had a strange question. While on BYC I saw a photo of a gorgeous snowy tan colored hen with dark brown hackle feathers. She was one of the most beautiful hens I've ever seen. However, I can't find the picture now! Does anyone know the genetics behind how to make a chicken like this or have a similar picture of one?

Thanks.

Is it like this one?

Sorry if this is your photo and want it removed let me know. I just borrowed it because if this question that was asked.

[​IMG]

4. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Not quite, but thanks for the picture. [​IMG]

5. malndobe

Aug 6, 2013
    S. CA

This article does a good job of explaining speckled, spangled, mottled and Mille fleur.

http://m.ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/59/7/1370.long?view=long&pmid=7393852

6. Cherie1n2

Cherie1n2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2014
    Upstate South Carolina

Thanks.. The article was a good read. I had already read the articles it mentioned in the abstract. I'll look around for the others I've read and pass them onto you.I still feel like the spangling desired in the Orloff needs to have the pigment modifiers for hyper then absent color...otherwise its mottled and not spangled.

7. Cherie1n2

Cherie1n2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2014
    Upstate South Carolina
    you'll need to test breed your parent stock to a wild type color. I use silver Phoenix. (I know you're breeding silkies but to get a full view of what your blacks could produce you need the most recessive genetic partner).

Once you see what your breeding stock can produce, you keep the ones that hatched 100% black offspring.

8. anac1979

anac1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    FL
    Hi! New to color genetics & was hoping someone could possibly tell me what a Gold Laced Brahma cock (with some red leakage) over a Blue Brahma hen might make? Any ideas? Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

9. Hatching

Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    Half blue half black most likely, may or may not show leakage

10. malndobe

Aug 6, 2013
    S. CA
    Sounds like wheaten with maybe columbian also? The pattern in the photos I posted (dark hackles, lighter body) is wheaten. Columbian will add a pattern to the hackles, but I'm not sure if the wheaten is overridden by the columbian. You might google "wheaten chickens" and also "columbian buff" and see if any photos come up similar to what you are looking for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by