Color genetics thread.

Pics
I know this is over simplified, but is this a good path to get chocolate laced orps?

I didn't write down all the possible combos, and I know that breeding the F1 gen together could get the choc laced orps, but given how many other possibilities they can produce I wanted to map out ways to get there other than just hatching a ton of F1xF1 crosses.

I know this is over simplified, but is this a good path to get chocolate laced orps?

I didn't write down all the possible combos, and I know that breeding the F1 gen together could get the choc laced orps, but given how many other possibilities they can produce I wanted to map out ways to get there other than just hatching a ton of F1xF1 crosses.
1 st problem- I do not know if the chocolate male is silver or gold at the sex linked silver locus. Only crossing will determine the sex linked silver locus allele.

2 you have to cross and produce males that at least carry one chocolate allele or are chocolate. to do this the female in the cross must always be chocolate or the male in the cross is chocolate.

choc male x silver laced female produces F1 choc females (these may be silver or gold ) and F1 choc and silver carrier males

cross F1 choc female to silver laced male produces OC1 ( out cross) choc carrier males with better lacing than F1 cull the females or use them for egg layers (this cross ensures that the Silver allele will be in every chick

backcross the best silver laced oc1 male with the F1 incompletely laced chocolate female producing BC1 offspring - from the BC1 offspring pick out the best BC1 silver laced chocolate males and females and then cross them.

you can outcross silver laced males with poorly laced chocolate females to improve lacing remember male offspring will be choc carriers and all females will be culls

then cross the out cross superior laced choc carrier males to chocolate laced female

compare this breeding regimen to yours

It is late so I will return to this post and edit my post to make sure my crossing is correct

Last edited:
1 st problem- I do not know if the chocolate male is silver or gold at the sex linked silver locus. Only crossing will determine the sex linked silver locus allele.

2 you have to cross and produce males that at least carry one chocolate allele or are chocolate. to do this the female in the cross must always be chocolate or the male in the cross is chocolate.

choc male x silver laced female produces F1 choc females (these may be silver or gold ) and F1 choc and silver carrier males

cross F1 choc female to silver laced male produces OC1 ( out cross) choc carrier males with better lacing than F1 cull the females or use them for egg layers (this cross ensures that the Silver allele will be in every chick

backcross the best silver laced oc1 male with the F1 incompletely laced chocolate female producing BC1 offspring - from the BC1 offspring pick out the best BC1 silver laced chocolate males and females and then cross them.

you can outcross silver laced males with poorly laced chocolate females to improve lacing remember male offspring will be choc carriers and all females will be culls

then cross the out cross superior laced choc carrier males to chocolate laced female

It is late so I will return to this post and edit my post to make sure my crossing is correct
Okay, I should have made a key, the orange ink represents chocolate, full circle is choc (females), half circle is split choc (males). Red circle is a hen, blue circle is a roo

I don't know what the choc boy will be, other than he will be a choc orp. I will try and find out his silver or gold base. I'm working on this for a friend. I think my image assumes the male is silver based, instead of gold or split based. Can you tell the base of a choc orp chick at hatch? Edited to change choc laced orp to choc orp.

Last edited:
Okay, I should have made a key, the orange ink represents chocolate, full circle is choc (females), half circle is split choc (males). Red circle is a hen, blue circle is a roo

I don't know what the choc boy will be, other than he will be a choc lace orp. I will try and find out his silver or gold base. I'm working on this for a friend. I think my image assumes the male is silver based, instead of gold or split based. Can you tell the base of a choc orp chick at hatch?

From your description, I thought that the male was self chocolate ( solid chocolate plumage) and not silver with a chocolate lace.

Some of what I posted still applies. more later

From your description, I thought that the male was self chocolate ( solid chocolate plumage) and not silver with a chocolate lace. 

Some of what I posted still applies. more later

He will be solid choc. I've been texting choc laced so much it auto fills from my phone and I didn't catch it.

This regimen ensures that you get choc laced silver birds.

I know you put a lot of thought and time into your pedigree but I would need you to explain your thoughts that are on the pedigree chart. I am not saying anything is wrong with your chart. I am having a hard time seeing the details in your chart.

Last edited:
This regimen ensures that you get choc laced silver birds.

I know you put a lot of thought and time into your pedigree but I would need you to explain your thoughts that are on the pedigree chart. I am not saying anything is wrong with your chart. I am having a hard time seeing the details in your chart.
I gotcha, I will do my best to explain verbally.

Step #1: Choc roo X SLO hen = incomplete laced choc girls (F1 girls) and incomplete laced silver boys who are split for choc (F1 boys).

The next part depends on how many chicks she has, since breeding the F1 chicks together seems like it would be a crazy mishmash of genetics hoping for the luck of getting choc laced orps I figured she should out cross for genetic diversity and to solidify the lacing sooner.

Step 2A: Set up one pen with the F1 girls and a SLO roo = Roos split to choc (some will be laced, some will be incompletely laced, all should be pure silver though right?) and the hens from this are culls.

Step 2B: Set up one pen with the F1 boys and SLO girls = Some Choc Laced hens, some cull hens (either silver or incompletely laced), and all cull boys since you won't know who carries choc and who doesn't.

Step 3: Set up a pen with the best laced roos from step 2A and the best laced choc laced hens from step 2B = nicely laced roos that are choc or split to choc and nicely laced hens that silver or choc laced.

Step 4: Take the best laced choc laced Roos and the best laced choc laced hens and put them together.....

Does that make sense?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom