Color genetics thread.

Pics
They lay a 27oz. egg ( to the Doz. that is ) which is a very large egg. It is a white egg layer, Looks like a barred Leghorn, and the females weight about 4.5 lbs. They eat very little, but produce tons of eggs that are huge. Hope this helps.

It does I was really hoping to add fast maturer that lay large eggs, and alot of them. What about production black Norwegian jaerhon crosses.

Just for comparison, Norwegian Jaerhons lays a white to off-white egg, depending who supplies them to you. They lay 22 oz. eggs to Doz. Hens should weight about the same 4.5 lbs. but does not produce the egg numbers that the production blacks do. But remember also I am talking about production birds not show birds. These birds have been bred for egg production not show. But like most mediterranean breeds they are a bit flighty. So hopefully the americauna/leghorn cross with selection should calm them down a bit, because that is a dominate gene ( calmness ) Hope this helps with selection.

Just for comparison, Norwegian Jaerhons lays a white to off-white egg, depending who supplies them to you. They lay 22 oz. eggs to Doz. Hens should weight about the same 4.5 lbs. but does not produce the egg numbers that the production blacks do. But remember also I am talking about production birds not show birds. These birds have been bred for egg production not show. But like most mediterranean breeds they are a bit flighty. So hopefully the americauna/leghorn cross with selection should calm them down a bit, because that is a dominate gene ( calmness ) Hope this helps with selection.
Me too. Lol

No worries, it was fun exploring these colours...it is a great way to become more proficient at understanding colour genetics...getting your feet wet playing in the colours; mixing it up! Good to study books on the subject but spending time oogling live birds and playing "what if I crossed this..." by breeding them and then keeping good photo records and being able to identify the progeny to the parents...all excellent ways to play and learn hands on!

The one pattern you showed us on the white background is certainly eye catching, inspiring, and very enjoyable to view...thanks for that.
hugs.gif

You do have to laugh because there is such a wonderful combination of two pigments (just red and just black pigments) with SO many glorious outcomes in the chicken feathers. A marvel of nature we can have so many different expressions in our chooks.

I apologize for labelling the White Silkie a "she" in post 52...she, he; dom or rec white is not gender linked so not too problematic but would be for say barred/cuckoo which IS gender linked. I was having a tad too much fun and ran over the specific details in haste ...shameful but giddiness to see such purdy feathers can get one wrapped up in the moment.
roll.png

One can certainly feel your love and enthusiasm for your birds. Most commendable and appreciated. Do carry on...we had a male like the one from your second hatch...I adored the vivid shiny beetle green black on his wing bows and in his tail feathers...some of the patterns on a single feather had me amazed at the beauty...in one feather!

Thank you again
smile.png
I find it enjoyable to both breed to a standard and also play around with genetics! I love to record that sort of thing as well. Only problem is the high rate of roosters I always hatch from them. I always look forward to seeing what they look like, but there comes a point when there are simply too many for one coop. Cutting down to two of them now.

That rooster from the 2nd hatch sadly passed away a few years ago while defending the coop from a midnight predator. Fortunately, only one of the hens was also lost--so after his death we were able to take measures to protect the others. He was one of our favourites.

Yes, I like to look at individual feathers as well! That rooster also had one uniquely dark red, shiny feather in his hackles--not visible in the photo. We called it his "special feather," as he had only one of that color on his body.

Also what would a Norwegian Jaerhon hen covered by a Black Production roo look like. I know they would be barred/cuckoo, but would they have any brown color?

Sorry I did not answer this question, I would quess the Production blacks would cover most if not all of the Gold color the Norwegions carry. But they would be sex-linked as day olds, so you would not have to raise up the roosters. Just dispatch them or sell them. Sorry again for the delay, I am still figuring the web site out.., buttons and all.

Sorry I did not answer this question, I would quess the Production blacks would cover most if not all of the Gold color the Norwegions carry. But they would be sex-linked as day olds, so you would not have to raise up the roosters. Just dispatch them or sell them. Sorry again for the delay, I am still figuring the web site out.., buttons and all. 
It's ok. Thanks for answering. ;)

What adult color do you think this standard Langshan chick will be? I have never seen this exact variation of chick down in my birds before. The color is more even, but much lighter and more mute than the recessive white chicks I have hatched previously. The color is also much lighter than the blue chicks I have hatched in the past.

The male was a recessive white E/E S/S bl+/bl+ c/c

The female was one of three hens

1. Recessive White Hen E/E S/- bl+/bl+ c/c
2. Blue Hen E/E S? Bl/bl+ C+/?
3. Black Hen E/E S? bl+/bl+ C+/c

Is it a really light colored blue or a recessive white?
Is there any significance to the gold color on and under the wing?

If the chick was E/E S Bl/bl+ c/c would there be any interaction between the two dilluters? I assume an adult of this phenotype would look like a typical white?

Below is what I am use to seeing with recessive white chicks compared to typical black chick

And in the picture below is a typical blue in the middle of more black chicks

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom