Color genetics thread.

Pics
Blue with barring looks like this guy. Not sure if that 's what you're going for, but he is a handsome cockerel. His mom is a cuckoo marans.
Very beautiful bird! I'm excited about this project. I enjoy working with the Golden Cuckoo marans, and wanted to try to create a golden splash and golden blue cuckoos. How would a blue with double barring look? Would the double dose cause more barring to show?

Last edited:
Very beautiful bird! I'm excited about this project.
I enjoy working with the Golden Cuckoo marans, and wanted to try to create a golden splash and golden blue cuckoos.

Thank you. He is a splash Ameraucana/ cuckoo Marans mix. The other chicken I posted earlier is his brother.
What you have in mind sounds spectacular. I look forward to pictures when you get some hatched.

Very beautiful bird! I'm excited about this project.
I enjoy working with the Golden Cuckoo marans, and wanted to try to create a golden splash and golden blue cuckoos.

How would a blue with double barring look? Would the double dose cause more barring to show?
That is a question for @jerryse . He has done a lot of work with barred color varieties, including BBS and Lavender.

My Golden Cuckoos are ER based, and I know black coppers are also.

My F1s from this pairing have produced brown chicks:

Brown chick:
It would appear that the brown chicks carry the dark brown gene. Does the rooster that produces the brown chicks have white spots on the tips of some of his breast feathers.

It would appear that the brown chicks carry the dark brown gene. Does the rooster that produces the brown chicks have white spots on the tips of some of his breast feathers.

Inital breeding was F0 double barred Golden Cuckoo marans rooster to F0 Black copper marans hen.
Rooster:

Hen:

1 F1 single barred rooster was retained and mated to f1 hens to check for recessives.
F1 rooster and hen:

This rooster is alone in a breeding pen with 2 hens, no other roosters are present. I get a brown chick:

I get another brown one:

I cross my F0 Gcm rooster with an easter egger and got two brown chicks.
F0 rooster:

F0 easter egger:

Chick started brown similar to the above pictured one and went to this:

And ended up like this:

But it started off brown, not penguin looking like an ER black copper would.

I gave some hatching eggs from the F1 x F1 cross pictured above to someone here on byc, and she ended up with a pullet:

That being said, is it possible that my F0 rooster is ER/eb, and at least 2 of my f1s are as well? Would this cause the brown that keeps popping up. Does eb cancel out barring or cause the lacing appearance that is shown on the pullet?

Last edited:
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with my black and dark grey dorkings. I originally posted in the Dorking thread and was directed here. I got them from sandhill as
Part of a "mixed Dorking" order. They were sold out of red and silver grey presumably.

I love the look of the dark gray. They are like the silver grey, but darker, go figure. I have two females of the dark gray and two or three males of black. I'm wondering what to expect if I breed the dark gray with black. They all have good temperaments, but I would be hoping to produce some birds that are not black. I have read that some Dorking crossings can be unpredictable in terms of the resulting color, but I think that this is to do with the red genetics. Would I get some even darker gray birds, or a mix of dark gray and black, or something altogether different. I also remember reading that black us a diluting gene that needs to be reintroduced for some birds. If I kept the lighter birds would I eventually wind up with all dark grays. Sorry for so much speculation on my part. I'm new to this and haven't had time to really study color genetics.
One of the dark grays is lighter, and looks basically like a silver gray. This makes me curious about what the methodology is in producing the dark gray.
Thanks so much for any info

I posted these in the Dorking thread, but they weren't very good. It's very hot right now so they are all under a bush and I can't get a better one. They do have five toes. One of the black dorkings has a rose comb, the others single.

Back
Top Bottom