Color genetics thread.

Pics
Buff Orpington carry two of the genes needed to produce autosomal barring ( as in campine pencilling) they are Co*Co (columbian) and Db*Db (dark brown). Buff Orpington are usually wheaten at the E locus but can be wild type also. It appears that your Pitta carry Pg*Pg (pattern gene) and also carry birchen at the E locus. Many self-black fowl carry the pattern gene because it is a eumelanizer (adds black to feathers). The offspring from the cross only carry half the genes needed to express good autosomal barring. The chocolate down in the chicks is due the expression of the dark brown gene on a birchen ground color.

Birds that are purebred for birchen, dark brown and the pattern gene produce autosomal barring. Some autosomal barred breeds also carry the columbian gene plus the previously mentioned genes.

If you could produce a male and a few females cross them and pick the best autosomal barred F1 offspring and then cross them together. Keep crossing the best offspring and in a few generations you should have some nice looking birds.

Here she is a bit older and yes Id say penciling for sure. Really confused about the leg color but maybe the spotted legs over the white legs does something like this.

What base colors will work to produce autosexing chicks with barring over them? I know Gold Duckwing is ideal, but what other base colors can be used with barring (DF for males and single factor in females) to be sexed as day olds? Buff Colombian, Red Colombian, silver duckwing, wheaten, salmon, partridge, etc? Obviously black/blue/lav/white would hide the barring in days olds, correct? Since Salmons start out yellow, that wouldn't work I would think? Any others that would not work?

Thank you. He is a splash Ameraucana/ cuckoo Marans mix. The other chicken I posted earlier is his brother.
What you have in mind sounds spectacular. I look forward to pictures when you get some hatched.

I had one blue barred bird out of a small hatch. In luck, as It's a cockeral from a really dark laying line. He's getting a little barring. So he's a Blue Golden Cuckoo marans.

Last edited:
What base colors will work to produce autosexing chicks with barring over them? I know Gold Duckwing is ideal, but what other base colors can be used with barring (DF for males and single factor in females) to be sexed as day olds? Buff Colombian, Red Colombian, silver duckwing, wheaten, salmon, partridge, etc? Obviously black/blue/lav/white would hide the barring in days olds, correct? Since Salmons start out yellow, that wouldn't work I would think? Any others that would not work?
Any breed that has white, yellow or black down will not work for auto-sexing with respect to the barring gene. Other down colors will work as long as the male down is lighter than the female down. The down color has to be similar to the wild type down color and would most likely be brown at the E locus, Silver duckwing should work.

The following are all autosexing breeds and it is my opinion that the breeds are brown or wild type at the e locus.

gold and silver Brussbar; Brockbar; gold, silver and cream Legbar; gold and silver Cambar; gold and silver Dorbar; Rhodebar; silver Welbar; Wybar. The cream Legbar, Legbar, Rhodebar, Welbar and Wybar

Any breed that has white, yellow or black down will not work for auto-sexing with respect to the barring gene. Other down colors will work as long as the male down is lighter than the female down. The down color has to be similar to the wild type down color and would most likely be brown at the E locus, Silver duckwing should work. 

The following are all autosexing breeds and it is my opinion that the breeds are brown or wild type at the e locus.

[COLOR=415968]gold and silver Brussbar; Brockbar; gold, silver and cream Legbar; gold and silver Cambar; gold and silver Dorbar; Rhodebar; silver Welbar; Wybar. The cream Legbar, Legbar, Rhodebar, Welbar and Wybar [/COLOR]

I know cuckoo marans are auto sexing. My golden cuckoo marans males are light gray and the females are dark.

Back
Top Bottom