Color genetics thread.

Pics
Hi everyone. What colour chickens would I get if I was to breed my chocolate Orpington rooster with my silver laced hens.

All females will be chocolate. All males will be black, carrying chocolate. The solid pattern is dominant over the patterns that result in lacing. 

So if I was to breed the the chocolate off spring with a chocolate rooster would ther chicks be all chocolate. Thanks for the reply

OK....not sure if my head is clear....please bear with me & thanks.....

I'm wondering if a silver penciled cochin bantam hen were bred to a blue cochin bantam roo what would result? I'm curious if there's a way to have a blue partridge in the cochins? Would it involve the double breeding like partridge & birchen do from my understanding?

OK....not sure if my head is clear....please bear with me & thanks.....

I'm wondering if a silver penciled cochin bantam hen were bred to a blue cochin bantam roo what would result? I'm curious if there's a way to have a blue partridge in the cochins? Would it involve the double breeding like partridge & birchen do from my understanding?
You would have to line breed to get the partridge pattern back. The extended black that the Blue is based on, is the most dominant pattern gene. Partridge is one of the most recessive. Using at least 6 different, unrelated hens, as foundation stock will give you enough genetic diversity to withstand the line breeding necessary.

You would have to line breed to get the partridge pattern back. The extended black that the Blue is based on, is the most dominant pattern gene. Partridge is one of the most recessive. Using at least 6 different, unrelated hens, as foundation stock will give you enough genetic diversity to withstand the line breeding necessary.
Thanks. Not something I'm anywhere near ready to tackle. Just curious since right now I've silver penciled pullets & several different colored roos. It dawned on me that as of yet I haven't come across that color in cochins.

So, just out of curiosity.... What would be the result of Partridge over white?

Cochins! I hadn't even planned on having them. But we received a Blue Cochin rooster add a mystery chick in an order. My family fell in LOVE with him (the fluffy pants). So I had ordered a White and Partridge hen for him. The Partridge ended up being a rooster too. I like the idea of the Sexlinked chicks with the Partridge and so I'm just wondering if I keep the Blue at all.

Here is King, our Blue Cochin rooster.

My Partridge rooster so far.

And my little White Cochin hen so far.

In the coop King (the Blue Cochin) is suppose to go in has a Barred Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Salmon Favorelle, and a Blue Polish hen.
Your partridge cockerel appears to be black and does not have the typical black breasted red primary color pattern. Females have the secondary color pattern because the pattern gene is expressed in females producing the black penciling on a red/gold background color. In males, the partridge (penciling) is not expressed because the pattern gene is hypostatic to the brown E locus allele; this simply means the pattern gene does not work in males to produce the black patterns on the feathers. He could be carrying both the brown gene and the pattern gene and pass one copy of each on to his offspring but he is also carrying genes that cause him to be black.

He should have red in his hackles, back and in his wing bay.

If you use the blue or black cochin to breed with the white cochin the first generation offspring (F1) will be blue or black.

If you then backcross the white female parent to one of the F1 males some of the BC1 (first backcross) offspring will be white and some will be black and some blue depending on if you breed her to a blue male or if you breed her to a black male.

Last edited:
Your partridge cockerel appears to be black and does not have the typical black breasted red primary color pattern. Females have the secondary color pattern because the pattern gene is expressed in females producing the black penciling on a red/gold background color. In males, the partridge (penciling) is not expressed because the pattern gene is hypostatic to the brown E locus allele; this simply means the pattern gene does not work in males to produce the black patterns on the feathers. He could be carrying both the brown gene and the pattern gene and pass one copy of each on to his offspring but he is also carrying genes that cause him to be black.

He should have red in his hackles, back and in his wing bay.

If you use the blue or black cochin to breed with the white cochin the first generation offspring (F1) will be blue or black.

If you then backcross the white female parent to one of the F1 males some of the BC1  (first backcross) offspring will be white and some will be black and some blue depending on if you breed her to a blue male or if you breed her to a black male. 

Thank you for this information.

If he was yours, what would you do? I was excited about a Sexlinked Cochin project but I don't want to produce odd looking birds, lol. Otherwise I'll just stick to my big blue rooster.

When I realized the couch was obviously a rooster instead of a hen, I searched on line for quality Partridge close to me and couldn't find any.

Back
Top Bottom