Color genetics thread.

Pics
Thank you for this information.

If he was yours, what would you do? I was excited about a Sexlinked Cochin project but I don't want to produce odd looking birds, lol. Otherwise I'll just stick to my big blue rooster.

When I realized the couch was obviously a rooster instead of a hen, I searched on line for quality Partridge close to me and couldn't find any.
with the two males you have and the female you could produce blacks, blues, splash and white. I would cross the white female with the black male and see what is produced. The female could be hypostatic partridge ( genetically gold pencilled) and the black male could be carrying the genes needed to produce gold pencilled offspring. The down color of the chicks will indicate if they are pencilled. The penciling would show up if you cross the siblings from the black x white cross. the chicks below have some of the down colors that indicate gold penciling.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9f/e0/19/9fe019994600d89bc088cec00e71c892.jpg

http://bantamclub.com/gallery/albums/userpics/partridgechicks.jpg

with the two males you have and the female you could produce blacks, blues, splash and white. I would cross the white female with the black male and see what is produced. The female could be hypostatic partridge ( genetically gold pencilled) and the black male could be carrying the genes needed to produce gold pencilled offspring. The down color of the chicks will indicate if they are pencilled. The penciling would show up if you cross the siblings from the black x white cross. the chicks below have some of  the down colors that indicate gold penciling.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9f/e0/19/9fe019994600d89bc088cec00e71c892.jpg

http://bantamclub.com/gallery/albums/userpics/partridgechicks.jpg

Thanks. I wish I didn't take soooooo long for chickens to mature. I won't be able to do anything until March/April.

Here is what I originally wanted to do. Why I literally cried when I got a rooster instead of a hen.

I was able to get in two crosses a year with my breeding regimen. Once the pullets started laying an egg above 40 grams, I would start collecting eggs and load up the incubator. I would set about 50 eggs in april/march and set more from my next cross in sept/october.

From the larger picture of the black male I can see that he is not extended black at the E locus. He could be birchen or brown at the E locus. I would say he is also carrying melanotic. He has some red tipping on his breast feathers- this may indicate he is carrying a restrictor.

If you use him as a breeder with the white pullet, lacing may show up in the offspring or in F1 sibling
crosses.

I did some crossing with cornish game and produced a few females that were almost black. The parents looked like normal dark wheaten with double lacing. I did not cross the females with a standard colored male but if I had, I am soure some of the offspring would of had lacing.

Last edited:
I was able to get in two crosses a year with my breeding regimen. Once the pullets started laying an egg above 40 grams, I would start collecting eggs and load up the incubator. I would set about 50 eggs in april/march and set more from my next cross in sept/october. 

From the larger picture of the black male I can see that he is not extended black at the E locus. He could be birchen or brown at the E locus. I would say he is also carrying melanotic. He has some red tipping on his breast feathers- this may indicate he is carrying a restrictor. 

Wow! 50 eggs! Sounds like some good projects!

I've tried twice to get a refund from Meyer Hatchery for sending me a rooster instead of a hen. They said I had to wait longer to confirm. I feel like I should send them another email complaining that I didn't even get a Partridge. *Sigh* I love my other birds from them. What would you say to them?

I would send them a picture of the cockerel and tell them it has been long enough to determine the sex and the plumage color of the male. As Confucius would say " One picture is worth a thousand words". If they think he looks like a female- they need to get out of the poultry business.

I do not know what their policy is concerning replacement but it never hurts to send an e-mail with a picture.

i always ordered 15 or more chicks at a time. I have never ordered from Meyer.

Yes I worked on quite a few projects- almost all dealt with genetics. The chicken below is a production blue egg layer I produced.

Last edited:
Thanks and sorry for all the questions:) what if i was to use the choc rooster on a buff hen what color would i expect to get with them both being solid colors.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions:) what if i was to use the choc rooster on a buff hen what color would i expect to get with them both being solid colors.
The black pattern genes of the chocolate are dominant, but buff holds up a bit better against black than most other colorings. You can expect buff leakage on most of the chicks. Chocolate roosters produce sexlinked offspring. Males will be black, carrying chocolate. Females will be chocolate. Again, most will have some buff in varying amounts.

Last edited:
Thanks. So id be safer just using the choc rooster on the silver laced hens to get the good solid colors.

I would send them a picture of the cockerel and tell them it has been long enough to determine the sex and the plumage color of the male. As Confucius would say " One picture is worth a thousand words".  If they think he looks like a female- they need to get out of the poultry business.

I do not know what their policy is concerning replacement but it never hurts to send an e-mail with a picture. 

i always ordered 15 or more chicks at a time. I have never ordered from Meyer.

Yes I worked on quite a few projects- almost all dealt with genetics.  The chicken below is a production blue egg layer I produced.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/20199052/width/240/height/240/flags/LM

She is absolutely gorgeous!! I love the body shape. Her face is so sleek! And what a nice tail! Are her eggs satin or matte?

She is absolutely gorgeous!! I love the body shape. Her face is so sleek! And what a nice tail! Are her eggs satin or matte?
I produced a number of birds like her. They produced a light blue egg that was smooth- like a leghorn egg but light blue. The eggs were not blue enough so I stopped the project. This is another bird I was producing (I was hoping to produce additional plumage colors) . I liked working with dominant white so I would produce a white bird first.

This is another bird I produced ( she also had a sister like her). It does not have white skin but is barred and mottled and lacks a crest. I was going to use it to breed with my whites. This would have produced some crested offspring with white skin with white plumage. I would then do a back cross to produce prototypes of the birds I wanted. The trouble was that I did not have enough cash and facilities to finish the project.

Facilities was my biggest problem and I did not want to shell out 25,000 to build the facilities. I will be moving from my place in a few years and would rather have the barn on my new land.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom