Color genetics thread.

Pics
The black rooster with silver is the father, since both chicks have silver coloring. The 'stripy' look is juvenile partridge patterning.

Cool! Thank you. Since this was a silver rooster over a gold hen should I expect these chicks to be sexlinked or do I have that backwards? Is it gold Roo over silver hen to get sex links?

If I breed a blue rooster to a white (not splash) hen what colors will I get? I know I won't get white, maybe black or blue?
The most common kinds of white are recessive white and dominant white. If the white hen carries two dominant white genes the offspring will be basically white, If she carries one dominant white, some white and some black and some blue, If she is recessive white, some black and some blue. If I knew the breed of the white, I could make better predictions.

If I breed a blue rooster to a white (not splash) hen what colors will I get? I know I won't get white, maybe black or blue?

It's 100% dependent on what the white hen is hiding and what kind of white she has (breed and individual dependent factors). If she's dominant white, 100% of the offspring will be white, probably with small amounts of color leakage. If she's recessive white, the offspring will be the result of whatever color she is hiding crossed with blue. Both black and by extension blue are pretty dominant colors, so you've got a decent chance of getting both of those if the hen is recessive white, but again, some colors will can interfere or block out even those.

The most common kinds of white are recessive white and dominant white. If the white hen carries two dominant white genes the offspring will be basically white, If she carries one dominant white, some white and some black and some blue, If she is recessive white, some black and some blue. If I knew the breed of the white, I could make better predictions. 

She is a white Cochin bantam hen and she has a few partly gray/black feathers but you can't see them cuz they're under her other feathers.

The blue rooster has some gold leakage... he is also a cochin bantam

Last edited:
She is a white Cochin bantam hen and she has a few partly gray/black feathers but you can't see them cuz they're under her other feathers.

The blue rooster has some gold leakage... he is also a cochin bantam
most likely she is recessive white and black under the white. The offspring should be black or blue. You can produce more whites by back-crossing a male offspring fo her.

... what if I bred that same hen with a buff brahma rooster?
White genes only affect black patterning. A solid white bird is usually actually a solid black bird, with either dominant white or recessive white modifying the black pigment. So regardless of the rooster a recessive white hen is paired with, her chicks will be predominantly black.

Back
Top Bottom