1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Color of combs and wattles changing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by christina1982, Jul 24, 2011.

1. christina1982

christina1982 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Does anyone know if a White Rock and Leg Horn combs are suppose to be pink? I have looked everywhere and can not find anything on what color combs they are SUPPOSE to have. They look and act completely healthy, their stool is fine, and they seem ok. Is it OK for them to just to be pink or do they have to be red?

They are 20 weeks old no egg laying yet.

2. Orpimom

Orpimom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:Pink is normal.As long as it's not a pale icky yellowy color.They will turn darker when they get close to laying.

3. christina1982

christina1982 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Whew...thanks [​IMG]

4. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    I notice a color variation now that the weather is REALLY hot. My orps combs and wattles get much paler during the heat of the day. When things cool off, the color returns to normal. Combs help the chickens "cool" off by circulating blood--so I don't get concerned. Mine are starting to adapt to the heat, but I'm still filling wading pools, misting the ground and fans are running 24/7. It isn't even August yet--I'm hoping it gets cooler(better) not hotter (worse).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by