color of guinea eggs?

I've got guineas who's parents were pearl/royal purple mix and coral blue. They've got lots of very pretty dark blue and purple feathers. My guineas also lay green colored eggs, and they've got tan colored speckles in them. I also have Ameraucana and Easter Eggers, so when my guineas first started laying eggs I thought one of my easter egger hens was laying very large strangely shaped eggs. When I went to crack one for breakfast, it dawned on me that these were actually guinea eggs. Very hard to crack. 'Doh!
Personally I have never heard of guinea hens laying green colored eggs. They are typically a tannish colored speckled egg but can also be white.

Guinea eggs
full

A guinea egg is approximately 2" long by 1 3/8" at the widest point.

Guineas lay a variety of colors. Their eggs can be white (Not fully white like chickens), brown, or tan. They might have spots or speckles. There may be a ring of speckles then a plain tan ring and then another ring of speckles. (I have a hen which lays eggs like this) The end of the guinea's egg is pointed. A guinea egg should be a little smaller than a medium chicken egg I'd say.

I assume guinea's are just like chickens to where each hen can lay a variety of each color. Either white, brown, or tan eggs. With spots or speckles or none.

I get mainly tan eggs with speckles. If you want I could post some pictures.

View attachment 1741939 Most of my royal purples are laying various shades of light tan some with speckes - but today got this - green on one side shading to tan.View attachment 1741936

I've got guineas who's parents were pearl/royal purple mix and coral blue. They've got lots of very pretty dark blue and purple feathers. My guineas also lay green colored eggs, and they've got tan colored speckles in them. I also have Ameraucana and Easter Eggers, so when my guineas first started laying eggs I thought one of my easter egger hens was laying very large strangely shaped eggs. When I went to crack one for breakfast, it dawned on me that these were actually guinea eggs. Very hard to crack. 'Doh!

Here's one of my guineas' eggs. I know these came out of the guineas and not my easter eggers because I separated them into their own run (they were picking on my Ameraucana rooster). This is my first time raising guineas to adulthood, so I don't have much experience- usually I buy eggs, hatch out and sell the keets. Some of the guinea eggs are really large, not very pointed, and double yolked, like this one. Some are smaller and pointy like what I hatched these birds out of. They only started laying within the past month though, so I'm expecting the eggs to become more consistent in size/shape soon. Most of them are this sort of light greenish color with flecks of tan. They're pretty, I think :)
IMG_6432.jpg

Back
Top Bottom