Color Projects

I agree with Larry....it is an ash red checker. Mom is a grizzle...looks to be blue Grizzle as Mary had pointed out. She just doesn't have a lot of coloration in her. Dad is your culprit here.
smile.png
If all the other birds in your loft are White with bull (dark) eyes and flesh color beaks, they are recessive whites.

Recessive white works just like recessive red, it can mask (cover up) other colors. And the reason I am saying Dad is the culprit....is because the youngster come out ash red. Ash red is the most dominant color, so he has ash red in his background.

Mom is a blue grizzle so red wouldn't come from her unless the cock she is mated to is red, or in this case, recessive white masking red. The youngster can be either sex, but if it moults out and starts showing "ink dots" or blue/black flecking through it, it will be a cock. It will be an Ash Red Cock carrying Blue and recessive white. If it doesn't develope ink dots, then it will more than likely be a hen that will be carrying recessive white. There are are a few colors that a hen can carry, recessive white and red along with milky being a few of those.

Not get off the subject. This does happen from time to time when you have a loft full or recessive whites. A friend of mine has a loft with nothing but recessive whites and has had them for years....the only time he got a red baby was last year and he called all worked up because he couldn't figure it out, but there was red in the background and it was a throwback.
smile.png

Genetics is a lot of fun, but it can be hectic, here is a picture of a bird that I bred.
smile.png
I'll let some folks take a stab at what this bird is
smile.png
Some may peg it right away now, but this was bred when color genetics wasn't a popular idea.
smile.png

reduced05.jpg

If you need me to explain anything a little better, just let me know.
smile.png

Mary, let me know how you progress along with you ICE homer project. Have you have met Karl Rau? He had some nice ICE homers...ICE is a beautiful color, but can be a pain to work with at times. LOL I used to have an awesome stud of Damascenes and Clean Leg Florellan Ice Pigeons so naturally I had to toy with the color.
smile.png

Justin
Aquatic Wilds
Night Wolf Lofts

Last edited:
The reason you got an ash-red check from that pair is because the dad is ash-red underneath the recessive white.

Justin, the bird you posted is reduced. I have no idea who Karl is but if he still raises ice homers, they would be a good place for me to start.

Quote:
Thanks for the nice comments doo. Master breeder might have been a little over the top
big_smile.png
I hope to have birds that look like lahores in 4 or 5 generations. Safe to say if In 5 years I dont, I will probable can the project. I will post pictures as I move forward (or backwards).

Yes, that was the easiest way to put it I guess. LOL I have trouble sometimes when it comes to talking genetics when I try to explain something to someone who is new with the colors and hobby.
smile.png
Thanks for helping clear that up Becky.

I figured you would peg that bird right away....LOL But when I first bred that bird, it had a lot of folks stumped because that was when genetics wasn't so popular and pretty much still in its infancy.
smile.png

I'll see if I can find his information for you...I am not sure if he still has them or not, I haven't talked to him for a long time and I just tried his website and it is no longer there. I'll see if I can come up with anything though.
smile.png

Justin
Aquatic Wilds
Night Wolf Lofts

Quote:
The cock that I have is ash red spread Lavender.

Ah
smile.png
Lahore Lavender would be pretty though. Not sure if the milky gene is in rollers yet. Quite a few people like to play with roller colors. Especially Dal Stone and James Turner. Although Turner is the best at keeping performance up while building color.

Quote:
The cock that I have is ash red spread Lavender.

Ah
smile.png
Lahore Lavender would be pretty though. Not sure if the milky gene is in rollers yet. Quite a few people like to play with roller colors. Especially Dal Stone and James Turner. Although Turner is the best at keeping performance up while building color.

I am planing on breeding him to a blue check hen, she's a Turner cross.

Yes, there are milky rollers around!
smile.png
They can be quite hard to get your hands on, but I had a nice little stud of them last year that I had built from a few pair I got from James Turner. Awesome birds in color and performance. I lost all my birds last year due to a family of mink and have just recently gotten back into some different breeds, but I know I'll never be able to replace the stud that was killed..
sad.png
No matter what you do, it seems like those mink just don't wanna stay out!

Justin
Aquatic Wilds
Night Wolf Lofts

I put a real nice almond roller cock with another bronze/black lahore hen. Both pairs of my cross projects are now on eggs. I am excited. I will post pictures when the eggs hatch and keep more updates coming.

Back
Top Bottom