Color Question for Breeders

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sherrie, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Sherrie

Sherrie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    NC
    I have barred Rock , blue, black, and a silver pencil color banty cochin hens.. Ok now for my question, I want to keep a rooster, I have a buff, dark buff or black rooster, which one would be the best one to keep for my girls?

But to keep the color blue won't I need to cross her with a black rooster?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I would keep the buff but it really depends on what you want to get and what each of the other colors is carrying.

I have white Cochin roos and in the hens I got blue, Partridge and whites. My whites have of course, produced whites but I am waiting to see what neat patterns come from the white roo to the Partridge colored hens. And I think the cross with the blues, I already know but can't wait to see them anyhow.

Good luck![​IMG]

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    anyone know what color is hiding usually in white silkies? I have a sizzle birchen cock that I am thinking about crossing on them. Can't hurt, and I don't have a different roo to use right now anyhow. I got rid of the white silkie cock I had because of a lot of non-standard babies (pink beak, four toes, high percentage of bad legs) and this little sizzle is actually typier than the purebred silkie cock I had anyhow. He is really short and cobby with GREAT feet, a dark comb, a really pretty head and a better personality.
    Wait, what was the question? oh yah, what color is hiding under white in most silkies? Thanks in advance.
    Patty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by