Color question..I'm not good with genetics so I'm wondering what will come of a Red bronze and Golde

I've done the same thing. Here's the pieces.

Royal Palm b1b1cgcgngngRR X Bourbon Red bbCCNGNGrr

b1 is black-wing bronze based which is recessive to b bronze based (with the barred wings). cg is the grey gene which is recessive to C not white. ng is narragansett recessive to NG "not Narragansett", and r is red, recessive to R not red, but a single red gene usually expresses itself as an intermediate color.

So when you cross them, using a RP tom, the tome offspring are bb1CcgNgngRr. The b dominates over teh b1, the C dominates the cg, the NG dominates the ng, and the Rr combination gives some red, so the bird is colored like a bbCCNgNgRr, which is Red Bronze. Notice that there are several recessive genes hidden. Hen offspring only carry one gene at the Ng location, and this gene comes from the tom. what you get is b1bCcgng--Rr. Because of the dominant/recessive character of the base gene and the white/grey genes (same as in the tom example), hens will look like bbCCng--Rr which is Golden narragansett.

So if you cross these, you get a mess.
The base color genes can be 1/4 b1b1 (black wing bronze base), 1/4 bb (bronze base), and 1/2 bb1 (looks bronze based but carrying a black-winged gene.
At the white gene location, you will get 1/4 CC (not white or grey), 1/4 cgcg (grey), and 1/4 Ccg (looks not white or grey but carries a grey gene).
At the Narragansett site, the toms will be 1/2 Ngng (not Narri), 1/2 ngng (Narri). Hens will be half Ng-- (not Narri) and 1.2 ng-- (Narri).
At the red site, 1/4 RR (not red), 1/4 rr (red), and 1/2 Rr (half red)

So you can get 3 base gene types (genotypes), 3 white/grey genotypes, 2 Narragansett genotypes, and 3 red genotypes for a total of 54 genotypes. However, in most cases, the combination of a dominant and a recessive gene looks like the recessive gene, so you only get 24 different colors of birds. A partial list includes:

b1b1CCNgngRR (black-winged bronze with a hidden Narri gene) b1b1CcgNgngRR (also looks BW Bronze)
b1b1cgcgNgngRR (sweetgrass with a hidden Narri gene)
b1b1cgcgngngRR Royal Palm
b1b1cgcgngngRr Calico
b1b1cgcgngngrr Red Palm
bbCCNgngRR Bronze
bbCCngngRR Narragansett
b1b1CCngngRR Black-winged Narragnasett
bbCCngngRr Golden Narragansett
b1b1CcgngngRr Golden Phoenix
bbCCNgngRR Bourbon Red

etc. etc. until all possible combination of all four genotypes are satisfied.

The blue slate is BBCCNgNgDd which is black-based (dominant to all other bases) with a single dominant D (blue) gene.

Crossed with a royal palm hen, Toms will be 1/2 Bb1CcgNgngDd and 1/2 Bb1CcgNgngdd. At the Narri genes, hens will be Ng-- or ng--. The ones that are Ng--Dd will look like blue slates, the ng--Dd will still look blue but will express the Narragansett genes, so will be a blue narragansett, if you will. The half with the Dd look blue and the half with the dd look mostly black as reported by R2elk.

If you cross a "blue Narragansett" hen back to a Royal Palm tom, one in 8 will be will be b1b1cgcgngngDd, which are blue palms. The short answer is you can get blue palms in 2 generations.

So there ya go! I think I got all that right!
I'm so impressed! I was googling to find an answer to my dilemma, if you can help, it would be so appreciated! I have a poult from a heritage bronze tom and a blue slate hen. It looks like a blue slate poult. Would it be more likely to be a male or female, or can that be determined this way? I have someone who wants it if it is a hen.

I'm so impressed! I was googling to find an answer to my dilemma, if you can help, it would be so appreciated! I have a poult from a heritage bronze tom and a blue slate hen. It looks like a blue slate poult. Would it be more likely to be a male or female, or can that be determined this way? I have someone who wants it if it is a hen.
If the tom and hen are not carrying any hidden recessive color genes the expected results from a Bronze tom and a Blue Slate hen are 50% Barred Blacks and 50% Barred Slates (all will be carrying the hidden recessive bronze color gene). If the poult looks like a Blue Slate, it is very likely to be a Barred Slate.

These are not sex linked. In order to get sex linked results use a Royal Palm, Narragansett or a Chocolate tom for breeding purposes. Both the Narragansett (n) and Brown (e) color genes are sex linked in that it requires two copies for the trait to be expressed in the males because they are recessive color genes but it only requires one copy of the gene for the color to be expressed in females.

Back
Top Bottom