Color question...

critters

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2011
The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia!
Ok I've read and the-read but still not sure...
If I bred a Silver Pied Peacock to an India Blue Peahen what 'color' would I expect to get?
I thought maybe a Silver Pied Split to IB but again maybe reverse , IB split to Silver Pied?
I don't know... Read Leggs peafowl but got more confused...

For commun breeders to produce split birds it's stupid !
hide.gif

ALL your chicks will be india BLUE .... You was with a rare color (pattern) and BINGO you return to a COMMON color/pattern !
Everybody need Blue Silver Pied peafowl .... it's THE mutation .... ALL others are far behind!
old.gif

Dany12....so you know.
My Silver Pied male got a cut, he's a free ranger, so I caught him and put him in my hen pen. Breeding season around here was due to take place til May or so per past years. While he's been in the pen healing one of the girls has laid some eggs.. I would not have intended for them to mate on purpose and any out come has been left to nature.
I love the IB Silver Pied color and would like to have more and I know for me to breed for that I would need to have a female of the I B Silver Pied color.
Just thought I'd explain why I wondered about a chick color. Thought I'd end up with IB White Eye since the deed was done...

For commun breeders to produce split birds it's stupid !
hide.gif

ALL your chicks will be india BLUE .... You was with a rare color (pattern) and BINGO you return to a COMMON color/pattern !
Everybody need Blue Silver Pied peafowl .... it's THE mutation .... ALL others are far behind!
old.gif

Brad Legg told me that the most important birds in a breeding program are the plain looking birds that carry a split. He said that people are foolish for culling all the IBs with splits as they are the ones that will produce the most variety if not a new color.

Case in point, cross a Purple with a Cameo and the resulting IB is just a plain looking IB. Cross him back to his mother and you get Peach, or so I am led to believe...

Brad Legg told me that the most important birds in a breeding program are the plain looking birds that carry a split. He said that people are foolish for culling all the IBs with splits as they are the ones that will produce the most variety if not a new color.

Case in point, cross a Purple with a Cameo and the resulting IB is just a plain looking IB. Cross him back to his mother and you get Peach, or so I am led to believe...

While I agree with Brad on the first part, the last statement is not quite true. Cross the cameo to a purple and get an IB male split to cameo and purple. Breed him to anything and patiently wait for crossover (a whole different conversation) to occur at the right point on the chromosome and get a peach hen.

Also, I disagree on silver pied. Some are pretty but they tend to get more white over time. Loud pied on the other hand have the perfect amount of cold versus white and some times have better distribution.

By a famous breeder or a person who is interested in genetics "splits" are a treasure but at Mr. everyone .... ???

While I agree with Brad on the first part, the last statement is not quite true. Cross the cameo to a purple and get an IB male split to cameo and purple. Breed him to anything and patiently wait for crossover (a whole different conversation) to occur at the right point on the chromosome and get a peach hen.

Also, I disagree on silver pied. Some are pretty but they tend to get more white over time. Loud pied on the other hand have the perfect amount of cold versus white and some times have better distribution.

Thank you for that, the lingering cloud of doubt I had about trying to mix paint is bringing me to abandon that project. I assume that my Peach SP trio should give me 25% White, 50% PSP, and 25% Peach Dark Pied? If that is so I don't need to waste my time and pen space playing with the project since it has already been done by someone that had more time in life than me.

Thank you for that, the lingering cloud of doubt I had about trying to mix paint is bringing me to abandon that project. I assume that my Peach SP trio should give me 25% White, 50% PSP, and 25% Peach Dark Pied? If that is so I don't need to waste my time and pen space playing with the project since it has already been done by someone that had more time in life than me.

Correct!

Back
Top Bottom