Color Question

Reurra

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Nova Scotia
I have a "blue" australorp boy I want to breed over my Wellsummer x blue wheaton EE hens.

What colors might I get?

The boy is super dark blue, dark head and dark shoulders with lighter blue chest and bum. He is pure bred but of all the blue roosters I bought, he has the best temperment and the richest coloration.

The girls have wellsummer color on their head (Slightly more black) and chest, but have blue feathering on the back ends with blue lacing on some of their feathers. Daddy was a blue wheaton EE.

Im just curious what they will give me.

And I would love if someone could give example pictures of Lavender vs Self blue chickens. I cant tell by googling, I get SO many different opinions.

Here is a picture of the girls, the three on the left:
Message_1501797309054.jpg

The boy is the dark blue in the front of the image:
20170716_075932.jpg

Thanks!

Sorry, I meant Lavender and regular blue. I know what splash is, but whats the difference between lavender and blue?

Sorry, I meant Lavender and regular blue. I know what splash is, but whats the difference between lavender and blue?
Just about everything. They're both blue and they both are dilutes of black . that's about all they have in common.
If you know splash you should know blue. Blue is a dilute to black. No blue genes equals black. One blue gene equals blue. Two copies equals splash.
Your description of your rooster is dead on for a blue rooster. The darker on top then bottom. A lavender is a lighter blue and is even colored.
Lavender is recessive so a bird has to have two copies for it to be lavender. In patterned birds blue effects what is black. Lavender effects the reds and golds too.

OOooh ok, cool! So crossing my blue over the 3 girls, there is a possibility that black markings on them might be passed as blue?

And crossing him over the black chicks has a 25% chance to pass blue?

Looks like there might be some VERY interesting chicks!

Back
Top Bottom